Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Britain is raising taxes while cutting spending and services....

"I wish there was another way. I wish there was an easier way. But I tell you: There is no other responsible way," Cameron told his Conservative Party conference earlier this month."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/...big-society?showallcomments=true#comment-fold

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101016/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_britain_bracing_for_cuts

and So Will We.

Just as we have seen it before.

GOP mantra, approved by pubs since it's ok for their party to raise taxes...:rolleyes:

"Only Option.....For The Greater Good...":rolleyes:

Take Back America.....:rolleyes:

I can hardly wait for the American Thatcherism, next...:rolleyes:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
The GOP is going to do what it's bosses tell it to do. Unless it gets fully taken over by the Tea Party.. but I don't see that happening for a few more years. The debt service is going to be half a trillion starting in 2013. That's won't leave much room for anything but taxes and reduced services. The GOP and Dems at this point, are not any different, haven't been in 4 decades.

The Tea Party is the wild card.. because they will run non-establishment candidates continuously, and as things get worse, those candidates will look better and better.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Probably, but maybe there will be a couple less things to pay for in the end than what the dems would have had.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Yup. No matter who wins, taxes are going up. The Pubs will blame the Dems for it, while ignoring their role in creating the need to raise them in the first place.

Conservative Politics. **** it up and blame the other guy for making you do it. Taxes, banks, wars, etc. That's their way.

Liberal Politics. Let others **** up their lives over and over and don't hold them responsible. Welfare, repeat abortion, drug war, immigration, etc. That's their way.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
NO, the only sure fire way, as has been proved several times already, to generate revenue for the government is to lower taxes across the board. The 2003 tax cuts generated record revenue for the government....it's just that some like to rewrite history and leave that part out.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Conservative Politics. **** it up and blame the other guy for making you do it. Taxes, banks, wars, etc. That's their way.
:laughing: Only 1 problem with that theory, there hasn't been conservative politics in the federal government in 100 years. The left has painted the left-wing of the rep party as "conservative", but they weren't/aren't. The media has made sure that real conservatives don't get a voice.. and the progressive republicans win by default because the left is ok with them, they spend.

If/When the true conservatives get power, then you will see change you can believe in. ;)

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
NO, the only sure fire way, as has been proved several times already, to generate revenue for the government is to lower taxes across the board. The 2003 tax cuts generated record revenue for the government....it's just that some like to rewrite history and leave that part out.
Thank you. This is the unvarnished truth which the left will never admit. With the help of the media, the left has convinced America that tax-cuts are sure revenue cuts, so many are happy for the wealthy to pay more taxes. I've said it before, if tax increases are absolutely necessary, I'm willing to do my part as long as everyone gets an increase. But using tax code to pit one group of Americans against another is the worst kind of divisive politics, and will eventually destroy us.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe...

But I really, really, really, really, doubt that will happen.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
It's so very simple to achieve. Cut spending... that's it -that's all that is required to reduce taxes. -Nothing else.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
It's so very simple to achieve. Cut spending... that's it -that's all that is required to reduce taxes. -Nothing else.
:laughing: Not when your $14 trillion in the hole. Like it or not, whoever wins is raising taxes, period. And spending will be slashed as well. The GOP likes to talk about 2007 spending levels, that is a mind-****. 2007 spending levels won't help a damn thing at this point.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
:laughing: Only 1 problem with that theory, there hasn't been conservative politics in the federal government in 100 years. The left has painted the left-wing of the rep party as "conservative", but they weren't/aren't. The media has made sure that real conservatives don't get a voice.. and the progressive republicans win by default because the left is ok with them, they spend.

If/When the true conservatives get power, then you will see change you can believe in. ;)
Fair enough. I should have said 'conservative' in the most mocking of senses of the current GOP & Tea Party pretenders.

:cheers:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Fair enough. I should have said 'conservative' in the most mocking of senses of the current GOP & Tea Party pretenders.

:cheers:
:laughing: Oh, it would be a mistake to underestimate the Tea Parties.. they aren't pretending, they just haven't fully realized what they are up against yet. I think that after this next congress, the Tea Party will be much bigger, much more right wing and much more diverse. But this is just a practice run.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
:laughing: Oh, it would be a mistake to underestimate the Tea Parties.. they aren't pretending, they just haven't fully realized what they are up against yet. I think that after this next congress, the Tea Party will be much bigger, much more right wing and much more diverse. But this is just a practice run.
The problem with the TP are the fanatic nutjobs that are in the spotlight. Bachman and O'Donnel? Calling them crazy wackadoodles is an insult to crazy wackadoodles the world over. Get Newt on board and it will have some respectable clout. Get Rove as far away as possible. Cheney, too. And for goodness sake, don't let pretenders in.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
The problem with the TP are the fanatic nutjobs that are in the spotlight. Bachman and O'Donnel? Calling them crazy wackadoodles is an insult to crazy wackadoodles the world over. Get Newt on board and it will have some respectable clout. Get Rove as far away as possible. Cheney, too. And for goodness sake, don't let pretenders in.
They are solid conservatives.. they are no nuttier than Obama, Biden, Ried, Pelosi, etc. etc. Newt is not what the country needs.. he had his chance, epic fail was the result. And even if they got Newt to run the party, you would still hate either:
The christian part, the pro-life part, the stop spending part, the no-gay marriage part, or some other part that is convenient. You can't relate to the Tea Party, because it goes against every thing you have been taught about government. There are millions like you, who think Obama gave them a raise this year.. :laughing: And who think government gives them their rights. It's epidemic.

You will never like them because you have set unattainable standards for them. :huh: And it's too easy to go left because there is no risk and much reward up front. But let me warn you, going left has never worked out good for any nation.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
You will never like them because you have set unattainable standards for them. :huh: And it's too easy to go left because there is no risk and much reward up front. But let me warn you, going left has never worked out good for any nation.
Going either direction has always ended poorly. The US and Rome lasted so long because they remained politically and socially moderate. Rome fell as she went ultra conservative. USSR failed when she went too far liberal as to encroach on the circle to facism.

If the US moves too far in either direction, we are done for. Why? Because social and fiscal go hand-in-hand. To drag one too far in one direction, bring the other garbage with it. And there is no true fiscal conservative socially liberal party, platform, or person; Let alone enough to influence policy.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Going either direction has always ended poorly. The US and Rome lasted so long because they remained politically and socially moderate. Rome fell as she went ultra conservative. USSR failed when she went too far liberal as to encroach on the circle to facism.
Actually, Rome did not fall for conservatism.. the Primary fall of Rome was endless wars, heavy taxation and the settling of the Goths. Once the economy fizzled, Rome became too big to afford.

But, A lot of people think Rome never fell and is alive today.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
:laughing: Not when your $14 trillion in the hole. Like it or not, whoever wins is raising taxes, period. And spending will be slashed as well. The GOP likes to talk about 2007 spending levels, that is a mind-****. 2007 spending levels won't help a damn thing at this point.
The 14 trillion has not been spent yet (it also included interest). 3 trillion is the actual number owed. By cutting the size and scope of today's spending... and out right cutting future proposed spending... tax cuts can be implemented and increase revenue to pay down the 3 trillion. I would like to see 2003 spending levels returned.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts