Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was wondering, do you have a particular 'launch technique' for winning those all important "away from the lights" contests ???

With my new Z06 I want to get as close to that 0-60 in 3.9 as possible when road killing EuroCrap... any suggestions !! :nuts:

I've gotta keep the 'Vette reputation' in the UK in tact :cool:

Eric
London UK :cheers:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the LS7 clutch in my 01Z28 and it will take some abuse. Try launching at 3000 rpm, but do not sidestep the clutch, just let it our pretty quickly while at the same time flooring the accelerator. Depending on traction, you may want to move the initial rpm's up or down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
EZZINGTON said:
Hey Guys,

I was wondering, do you have a particular 'launch technique' for winning those all important "away from the lights" contests ???

With my new Z06 I want to get as close to that 0-60 in 3.9 as possible when road killing EuroCrap... any suggestions !! :nuts:

I've gotta keep the 'Vette reputation' in the UK in tact :cool:

Eric
London UK :cheers:
IMHO it's more a question of traction than power since you'll find the 0-60 range is where most "stoplight" encounters occur (same as at the 1/8 mile strip but less critical). Heck, even my little A6 equipped LS2 can smoke the "stock" tires (at recommended pressures) of my 3200 pound daily driver all the way through the range almost anytime I really want to.

LS7 cars (i.e., ZO6's) address the issue with narrower gears, wider (and softer) street tires, but the end result is quite similar.

My suggestion, explore the tire options available to you then expereiment with technique. Again, IMHO (following about 50 years of playing with various muscle cars), a somewhat mild engine launch (2 -3 K RPM range) and a quick (but controlled) lift of the clutch will serve you well under somewhat SAFE street encounters (again, things are a bit different at the strip where launches are normally a bit more difficult).

OK y'all (that's southern for "you guys"), flame away !!!

;)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Greenhorn is quite correct and not so 'green' either.

I would only add that if you have OEM tires run them at 27 psi in the rear and as you walk down the accelerator do it as if there was a hard boiled egg under it; quick-not fast- and controlled.

Even better is two proper rear tires with poiable sidewalls.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts