Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen more talk lately about the rise in gas prices. I get asked by alot of people and co-workers about how good on gas is my new Vette is, and if I am worried about the price of gas. My usual response is, "you don't worry about the price of gas when you by a car like this." But, I''m currently about to reach my first 1000 miles on the clock, and I am sitting at a bit over 18mpg so far driving to work everyday. Not bad for car with a big V8 and lots of power.

Here is a funny little side story when I was recently at the gas pump.
I had to fill up yesterday, and noticed the high price of premium, right at $3 a gallon. Funny thing is, I pulled up to the pump and the guy at the next pump was in a nice new Hummer. We just looked at each others rides and grinned for moment then proceeded to fill up our tanks.:cool:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Gas will cost what gas will cost. With the ability to work at home, I literally only leave for fun drives, toss in an errand or two. So, I don't sweat the price of gas.

I mean, I don't want it to be $5.00 a gallon, but it isn't going to stay at this price. It will go down again.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,445 Posts
If I have the money, I'm going to drive. After the initial shock of the prices most people will do the same thing. Plus the Vette gets better mileage than anything else I own

·
Resident Metalhead
1,354 Posts
Everytime I fill up now I feel like I need to bend over and stick the nozzel in my you-know-where and let the gas station have it's way with me.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,445 Posts
mop423 said:
Everytime I fill up now I feel like I need to bend over and stick the nozzel in my you-know-where and let the gas station have it's way with me.
As much as we all like pics, I think that is one set we can do with out seeing:laughing:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Patrick said:
Gas will cost what gas will cost. With the ability to work at home, I literally only leave for fun drives, toss in an errand or two. So, I don't sweat the price of gas.

I mean, I don't want it to be $5.00 a gallon, but it isn't going to stay at this price. It will go down again.
:agree:

When it got to $1.50 years ago, everyone claimed it would never go below a dollar again, then 2 years later we were paying $.89.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Patrick said:
With the ability to work at home, I literally only leave for fun drives, toss in an errand or two. So, I don't sweat the price of gas.
Hey, it's a tough life but someone has to do it. :partyon: :partyon:

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,909 Posts

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
The Price of Gas is Unimportant

·
Registered
618 Posts
The 98 vert we purchased from Rick has the 3.15 axle....
driving it reasonable, we are getting 27/28 mpg, tank full average, everyday driving to/from work. Better that the luminia sedan it replaced.
kent

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I would like to know the bottom line. If gas is 19 cents an imperial gallon in Kuwait City how much does it cost to put the crude on a ship and refine it here. Lets assume it is 38 cents after refining assuming higher US wages etc.

Is it really $2 dollars a gallon transportation costs? Otherwise the Government should step in as Gas has become a necessary Utility. Maybe price of Gas should be controlled by the PUC like all other utilities.

·
Resident Metalhead
1,354 Posts
midnite902 said:
I would like to know the bottom line. If gas is 19 cents an imperial gallon in Kuwait City how much does it cost to put the crude on a ship and refine it here. Lets assume it is 38 cents after refining assuming higher US wages etc.

Is it really $2 dollars a gallon transportation costs? Otherwise the Government should step in as Gas has become a necessary Utility. Maybe price of Gas should be controlled by the PUC like all other utilities.

I was watching FOX news last night and they said that the reason is the increasing use of ethanol.....

:WTF

·
996 Posts
midnite902 said:

That is exatly the problem, we in the US have plenty of crude but not enough refineries.

I think the high price of gas is a good thing in a way, because it will give more of an incentive to research alternative fuels, like ethanol.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
one argument was that big oil shut down viable refineries, just to boost prices via demand and shortage.
Another argument was that over the course of the last seven years, bigger oil companies have been buying smallers ones almost to the point of monopolizing the market, congress looked at the issues and the subject was swept under the carpet.
November is gonna be the start of some serious back stabing, two faced, name calling, blame placing fun, unlike this country has seen in a long time.:)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
midnite902 said:

I totally agree,it should be controlled the trouble is both the white house and congrass are bought and paid for by big oil.When Bill Gates got to big you see what the goverment did to or tried to do to him.Well the oil companies are in the exact same position as he was and no one and i mean no one is doing a d--n thing about it.
Come election time you'll here a lot of lip service but you won't see any action.I agree that every time i pull in i feel like i getting hosed but d--n at least i would like to know who's doing me or at least leave a 5er behind my ear for the pleasure.:hump: :hump:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts