Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/12/dodge-viper-will-retrun-in-2012-says-dodge-brand-ceo.html

Dodge brand CEO Ralf Gilles has confirmed that the Viper will return in 2012 as a 2013 model year car.

Dodge recently ceased production of its halo sports car, while continuing on with certain development aspects, eventually showing a concept car to dealers at a recent national dealer meeting.

Gilles commented that the new Viper, “is not based on anything else,” and that, “There won’t be a part of the car that’s untouched.” That being said, the new Viper may do away with the previous model’s 6.4-liter V10 engine.

Gilles didn’t rule out the use of an engine from it’s new parent company Fiat, which owns Ferrari, but said the next Viper won’t just borrow a powerplant. He did say that the long hood with the cabin near the rear of the car would change.

Previous reports had suggested the car would just be a version of the Alfa Romeo 8C (itself based on the same chassis as the Ferrari California and Maserati GranTurismo), and while there will be some similarities, the proportions will be different.

The goal, says Gilles, will be to make the Dodge brand’s new halo model more accessible. That being said, it will be easier to drive and more forgiving – including having, for the first time, stability control.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Next Viper will probably be built to compete in GT1 and GT2. I would expect a 5.5 liter quad cam Hemi V8 and a trick Chrysler engineered electronic transmission coupled to a total vehicle control module with traction, stability and launch control.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
So based on that description, they will be eliminating all the styling features that made it a success.

We knew the next generation wouldn't be as raw as previous versions; the law won't allow a vehicle without stability control by then. It's a damn shame that we try to substitute electronics for competence on the highway.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
So based on that description, they will be eliminating all the styling features that made it a success.

We knew the next generation wouldn't be as raw as previous versions; the law won't allow a vehicle without stability control by then. It's a damn shame that we try to substitute electronics for competence on the highway.
I think the Viper is a great collectable but it's time has past. The advancments in electronics has spread to susupension, stability and engine management.There is no looking back for a state of the art sports car. Styling? Who knows?

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I think the Viper is a great collectable but it's time has past. The advancments in electronics has spread to susupension, stability and engine management.There is no looking back for a state of the art sports car. Styling? Who knows?
True, but there's a big gap between "state of the art sportscar" and what a lot of us want. I don't need active stability control with a myriad of electronic gadgets to break. My right foot is my stability control. I don't need dual zone climate control. I never had the old knobs and cables fail and leave me with freezing air blowing in during the winter. If I broke a control, I'd grab it with some pliers until I could get a replacement. I didn't have to order a $500 controller and 2 $130 actuators.

But I digress...
:laughing:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
My 66 427 was easy to work on. Easy to fix but, it was much slower than my car, didn't handle or brake nearly as well, and it got 8 miles to the gallon on the highway not 28mpg.

Today's cars are much better than the cars of only a few years ago. The Viper racing league saw a big jump in speed when they allowed the Comp Coupes to run after market traction control and ABS. Things move on:huh:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
It will be interesting to see what becomes of the Viper, guess us Corvette lovers will have to wait and see.;)

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
But I digress...
Couldn't agree more... the quest for better "numbers" just means more of a disconnect from the driver to the automobile, with added cost and complexity. That's why I'll always love older cars more.

The Viper was certainly the last of the brute power/design just for the sake of performance. We can certainly look forward to a Euro-washed redesign that will only bring the Viper name into the circle as oppose to setting it apart. Big yawn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts