Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an ad about it again in the latest Vette magazine issue, and my need for speed made me curious.

What is required to run one of these? The ad reads like it's a simple bolt-on, but I can imagine it's not.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

(The engine has 98k on it.)

O

·
0 Posts
Bubblehead and -=Jeff=- should be able to fill you in on this. Not exactly a bolt in....

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you are interested in ATI I would recommend contacting Speed Inc. (they are located in the Chicagoland area) I am good friends with the owner and the most of the staff there, they are an ATI dealer and have done quite a few installs on many different F-Body and Corvette applications. The number there is 847 891-0767 and the website is www.ls1speed.com
ask for Tom or Larry and tell them that Mike Kennedy reffered you.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
It's pretty much a bolt on job, but don't bother with the generic tuning that should come with the kit. Spend the extra money for true dyno tuning. Otherwise, you will not get the most out of your Vette along with making sure your computer compensates for the boost. You don't want to run lean on a boosted motor.

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-=Jeff=- said:
Yep, MVR and Bubbleman said it best

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. What would you recommend for the rest of the engine?

i.e. How concerned should I be about the 98k miles?

:confused:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
That's hard to comment on. I've heard some guys from the F-body forums with no problems with LT1's with over 100k miles, then others from problems almost right off the bat.

If driven responsibly, which I don't think I could really do myself, you luck should improve.

Now, most companies and reliable shops say the bottom end of the LT1 should be fine with 6lbs of boost. Eventually you will probably need to rebuild the motor because the added stress on a boosted motor will lead to parts wearing out sooner.

Ideally, you will want to build the motor with a lower compression ratio, maybe in the 8.5/9 to 1 range, with forged components made for superchargered/turbo motors. Then you can really crank up the boost and feel confident about your motor. You'll also want a custom grind camshaft for your specific application. A big lopey camshaft will not help out a boosted motor.

When you reach the point and get serious about the whole package, call a few different shops that have charger/turbo experience. The ideal companies you have this experience PLUS experience with Vettes or chevy motors. When you can talk to a shop with real world experience, they can give you all the in's and out's and what you should/can expect.

If you want to go the charged route, which is exactly what I want to do myself, you can get away with the ATI kit alone and should be pretty safe. You should plan on building a motor eventually.

Hope this helps out a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts