Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit of an audio purist. It takes more than overly boosted mid-bass to get me excited over a sound system.

So, what do you guys think of your Bose audio systems? Does anyone have the standard audio system? How do they compare?

The bottom line - would you order a C6 without Bose?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I dont have a C6 but in genral I belive Bose do blow. They used to be a much better brand then they are now. If you listin to a real audio speaker (Klipsh, Infinity, ect) system and then go to Bose they really dont sound that great. To me they miss alot of sound. While im more home audio I think the same would apply to car audio to a degree.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
My C5 has the Bose. I'm not overly impressed, but probably better than factory audio. All Bose products seem WAY over priced, and technically speaking, not very impressive. It cracks me up how expensive their "Wave" table radio is. Take some little speakers, add a simple plastic waveguide, and charge $500. I don't think so...just my opinion. I went to their web site once to look up the tech specs for the Wave radio - they're not even listed. Not even in the owners manual. I'll get off my soap box now...

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Tomcat said:
I'm a bit of an audio purist. It takes more than overly boosted mid-bass to get me excited over a sound system.

So, what do you guys think of your Bose audio systems? Does anyone have the standard audio system? How do they compare?

The bottom line - would you order a C6 without Bose?
Well, you certainly won't be satisfied if you are an audio purist. I have a top-notch home theater/stereo at home... and when I hear music at home its spectacularly accurate to the original recording. Only hand selected components and speakers will give you that accuracy.

The stereo in my C5 sounds like mud compared to my home stuff. Just terrible. My C4 was about as bad.

So, if you got a C6, plan to make some changes to the audio system.

Remember the motto "No highs, no lows... that Bose!"

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
mbwalker said:
My C5 has the Bose. I'm not overly impressed, but probably better than factory audio. All Bose products seem WAY over priced, and technically speaking, not very impressive. It cracks me up how expensive their "Wave" table radio is. Take some little speakers, add a simple plastic waveguide, and charge $500. I don't think so...just my opinion. I went to their web site once to look up the tech specs for the Wave radio - they're not even listed. Not even in the owners manual. I'll get off my soap box now...
Bose sucks. But, they are a marketing giant. Of course, you wouldn't need to spend so much on marketing if your products sold themselves. Which, they don't.

·
Mo-Fo
7,509 Posts
There is absolutely NO bass in my system in my C5. It's so bad that my wife won't even let me turn it on...too much trebble. But I have a lifestyles system in my house and it's great. No compaints about the home system. But the car hasn't worked since day one, not even on day one. :toilet

·
Registered
291 Posts
The C6 Bose system is far from great. It's somewhere between decent and good, but far from great. I sounds better than the after market stereo in my truck, but then my truck has a blow speaker in it. Your better off if you order the base system, and replace it with a good stereo. You can get a nice system with NAV and DVD for less than the factory Bose NAV system.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I replaced the 3.5" and 5" speakers with some inexpensive Eclipse speakers. That alone brightened up the sound quite a bit. For the $160 it cost, it was a good, cheap upgrade. The fact that the rear speakers are driven as mono doesn't help though, and some major upgrades will be needed to really make the system sound good.

As a stock system, the Bose is adequate and certainly pleasant sounding enough. It's just not close to a top end system, and definitely not audiophile quality.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
My dog and I think the sound is ok.

:)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your feedback! It confirmed my suspicion.

I'll save my cash & go with the standard radio.

BTW, I love the last post!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
i am, or was, an audiophile....age and sidepipes have taken their toll...my jbl speakers are custom, high end--if you transport them the mfr suggests that you ''short'' the speaker terminals to ''freeze'' the coils to prevent damage....my listening room was designed specifically for optimum acoustic performance IF the listener sits at the proper location and i can definitely notice degraded sound when not at the ''bulls-eye....good sound in any auto?--never heard one yet, and i don't think its even possible , based on the above.

long ago,far away, i was involved with a band--some nights, some places it just didn't sound right....saying then was ''if you can't be good, be loud"...i've heard some very loud auto sound systems

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm glad to see this thread as I was initially thinking the same thing: don't spring for Bose option but get an aftermarket instead. Then I looked at a few of the car stereo websites (Crutchfield and others) to see "what fits my car", and none of the websites listed anything for the 2005-later Vettes. Then I started wondering if there was a problem fitting in with the rest of the car's electronics. Does anyone have any experience with custom installs on the C6's?

A. P.
proud father expecting 2007 Z06 (unless I die or something worse)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Corvette Audio

I too am a bit of an audio purist...I've owned Klipsch speakers and loved them since 1985.

As for my C6...I got the upgrade with the nav system, and the "between good and decent" comments are spot-on!

The best stereo in a late model Vette comes from the twin Corsa (or Borla, or BB, etc.) "speakers" exiting the rear of the car!

:partyon:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I added 2 JL tweeters on the top of the windshield pillars and 2 10" JL W6's with a 1000W JL momo amp to drive the subs. It now sounds GREAT even with the stock (Nav) head unit, and my roof still fits in with no problem:thumbsup:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I agree with alf01, the B&B's really rock! The C5 sound system is a bit on the weak side. But it does sound alright as long as you dont try to crank it up.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I am also a music/audio nut and my home stereo/surround system has been a great investment from which I have received hundreds of hours of enjoyment (Yamaha & Polk Audio mostly). However, to be honest, driving a C5 verte with modified exhaust, I really can't complain about the stock Bose stereo because the car is too loud (in a good way) and I really can't hear the music. When the top up, it seems fine, however the verte still lets in a lot of road noise.

My daily business driver (Acura TLS) has a nice Bose system and it sounds pretty good. The only Bose product that I am disappointed with is the Soundock for my IPOD. I hear static in the background while the songs are playing. It might be my IPOD though. Not sure.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Bose system sounds OK with most music. The only problem I have had is with classical CDs, the higher frequencies cause the speakers to clip every now and then which is kind of annoying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts