Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a higher stall converter combine with lower gears lower dyno numbers?

Say a stock gears is 3.15 and a stock torque converter dyno at 390 RWHP.

But if I have 3.73 gears and a 3200 stall, I know the car is quicker in acceleration, but will it still dyno the same at 390 RWHP? Or will it register lower on the power?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
good question,if they werent the same [hp before and after] with just vert and gear it would say something about dyno,s. ive heard NOS is unfriendly to dyno results.the payout is the car is faster.i did my 01 coup 342,s and 3200 stall,pulled TQ mang. and maxed shift psi and what a beast it still kicks the ass side ways on shifts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Would it really matter if there was a loss of power transfer if you're getting down the track quicker?

I'd think it only matters to dyno queens, especially in the Cobra crowd, takes a 450 whp Mustang to hang with a stock C6.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the inputs. So say if I were to race one of my friend with the same mods as mine with the exception he has a stock converter and gears, I should be able to walk his car because of my superior gears/converter? If so, by a car length, or .5 secs..etc?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Assuming all things are equal, driving, tires, ect. I know with my T/A the first thing I did was a stall and 3.73 gears in my A4. I ran a 13.61 with bone stock. I ran a 13.3x with the gears and stall. Threw on a set of drag radials and I ran a 13.1x. It wasn't until I had some exhaust work (headers and catback) that I managed to run in the 12's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts