Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine's son is opening up a speed and custom shop in Concord NC. Their grand opening is next Friday and Saturday. I am driving the Vette to work next Friday and then leaving at lunch to do some dyno pulls. I am really curious to see how much my BB combo is putting out. What kinda scares me though is that one of the partners at the shop has a '69 chevelle with a 502 crate and it only dynoed a little over 300hp at the rear. My buddy said that he thinks it was setup wrong by whoever put it in the car. Supposedly had some popping going on through the power band. With my combo and the amount of money I have spent on it I am going to be disappointed if I am just at or under 300hp.....:thud: Although that 502 is a bigger displacement I think my overall combo might be a little better setup and miine runs smooth and screams through the gears. I have some tweaking still to do with the carb as it is running rich but I would think I should be somewhere in the 425-450 range.. I hope......;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
A friend of mine's son is opening up a speed and custom shop in Concord NC. Their grand opening is next Friday and Saturday. I am driving the Vette to work next Friday and then leaving at lunch to do some dyno pulls. I am really curious to see how much my BB combo is putting out. What kinda scares me though is that one of the partners at the shop has a '69 chevelle with a 502 crate and it only dynoed a little over 300hp at the rear. My buddy said that he thinks it was setup wrong by whoever put it in the car. Supposedly had some popping going on through the power band. With my combo and the amount of money I have spent on it I am going to be disappointed if I am just at or under 300hp.....:thud: Although that 502 is a bigger displacement I think my overall combo might be a little better setup and miine runs smooth and screams through the gears. I have some tweaking still to do with the carb as it is running rich but I would think I should be somewhere in the 425-450 range.. I hope......;)
one thing to remember the dyno is just a tool...the number isn`t important. What is important is the difference in numbers the changes make...after all no one races a dyno.
redvetracr

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one thing to remember the dyno is just a tool...the number isn`t important. What is important is the difference in numbers the changes make...after all no one races a dyno.
redvetracr

Yeah but it is cool to see that big number......;) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it`s cooler when your little number blows by 750hp down the front straight at Road America...
redvetracr

Ok, ok I will agree with you there but doubt if this car ever does that. I'll just be happy dusting off a ricer every now and then and leaving long posi marks......:thumbsup: In a safe setting of course....;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ok, ok I will agree with you there but doubt if this car ever does that. I'll just be happy dusting off a ricer every now and then and leaving long posi marks......:thumbsup: In a safe setting of course....;)
I think your allowed a few street KILLZ at DC...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just don"t set your goal too high, dyno"s have been known to hurt a lot of feelings. 425 hp at the rear wheels will require a 500+ hp engine.

On a brighter note it"s worth every penny just to know when you leave the dyno it is not going to be rich or lean !!!

Tell us a little more about your big block.........

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
454 +.030
SCAT9000 crank
3/8 polished rods
Edelbrock performer RPM 110cc aluminum heads,
10:1 Speed Pro Hyper pistons.
Comp Xtreme solid 282S ,
Performer rpm air gap intake
Mighty Demon 850 annular carb
MSD igmition- dist, coil 6AL box.
harland sharp roller rockers

·
Registered
6 Posts
yea I agree with dmaaero, Leaving a dyno knowing that you have a good A/F ratio is worth every penny to me, regardless of the number. (although the # does make you feel good :D )

CV

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
My first (which was my last) trip to the dyno with my 69 BB was horrible. I only had about 400 miles on the car and put it on the dyno in front of a crowd outside of the NCM.

I dynoed at the same time with a stock 70 454. I only put out about 10 more hp than that car.

I was frustrated considering I copied the Edelbrock RPM package that made 539 hp then added EFI on top.

When I got home (remember I didn't have many miles on the car) - I pulled the distributor cap and found metal in the bottom. I was suppose to weld the advance tab solid to convert to EFI and had temporarily put a pair of aluminum rivets in it while I was building the car. I forgot about it all together and they must have broken right after getting it started for the first time (the car had a really strange surge that I couldn't tune out).

Long story short, I pulled, welded, and popped that back in then went for a ride...WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found another 150 hp cause that distributor was slinging anywhere it wanted in the cap with inertia.

Long story short....even if your numbers are terrible - you may learn something valuable that will cause you to go check something else and correct a problem you might not even know you have.

I bet the dude with the 502 is really scratching his head now, because if the dyno is set up right, his numbers are terrible and he must have a tuning issue such as a bad timing curve, poor jetting - too tight of rocker arms...or something going on there.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Then there are guys like me, who discovered that wiring error in the grounding of the EFI, and suspect it was causing the messed up operation of the system.....which took place for FOUR YEARS, think it was early 02 when I got the sytem together last time, fixed it come early this year....

combo of the car basically running, bad spark wires, TIME, money, tranny replacement, HB brakes, other projects around the house...like kitchen, bath, atrium, tile, ceilings, moulding, front door, you know, all that small crap no one had time for actual hair tearing over that frickin car........:crazy: :spanked: :WTF

remember going over that with me, Chris, and finding NOTHING, ??

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys I enjoyed reading your experiences. Talked to my buddy yesterday and he said his son was looking forward to ne bringing my car up there. They want people to see an older vehicle in the shop rather than just tuners........ NO PRESSURE!!!!!!:surprised :thud:

:cheers:
Wade

1 - 13 of 13 Posts