Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple advice

My main business is locks...residential, business and some automotive.
May I offer you all some simple advice please?
Lubricate your locks! Car, home, boat, padlock on the chastity belt...whatever type of lock, lubricate it! Most especially your car's locks.
Most of the lock "bodies" are made of a die cast "pot" metal and the "tumblers or wafers" in the locks are brass. For some reason unknown exactly to me those two dissimilar metals electrochemically react and pit and corrode. If not maintained occasionally they will get to the point that you can't use your key.

The lubrication I use/recommend/sell is Tri Flow (petroleum and teflon), comes in Black and Orange can or squeeze bottle. Squirt into locks and run key in and out several times, turn locks both ways, lube again. Wipe off any excess. This is especially critical if you open your car all the time with a remote.

This should be done seasonally. (4 times a year) It will help slightly so locks won't freeze.

IF your locks freeze and you use a lock de icer, remember that is a de-icer not a lubricant, it washes out ALL lubrication. If you have to use that stuff lube your locks again.

DO not use WD40 as it is water soluable and will wash out with moisture.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,549 Posts
Auto parts places might have it. The local hardware store will have it, if it is well stocked.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Re: Re: Simple advice

Patrick96LT4 said:
Mr. LockMan....

Where do you get this product?
We use that for bikes. I buy it at the hardware store or bike shops.

Good luck,

Tim

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Simple advice

Patrick96LT4 said:
Mr. LockMan....

Where do you get this product?
The toolman is correct!
Most hardware and homecenter type places handle it.

So do most locksmiths.:D

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Good advice, thanks for the tip. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ok here is a question.. would it be ok to use on an igintion lock cyclender with the vats chip?

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
VetteTech81 said:
Ok here is a question.. would it be ok to use on an igintion lock cyclender with the vats chip?
good question,i would have to say,no:laughing: just electric cleaner,no residue.
someone go try and let us know...:laughing:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
VetteTech81 said:
Sure, when you use the nozzle of the Triflow, insert it aout 3/8 of an inch into the clylinder and spray. Look at your key...the Vats pellet is on the side, the wafers you are lubricating are on the bottom.

·
Registered
509 Posts
stilcrazee said:
Sure, when you use the nozzle of the Triflow, insert it aout 3/8 of an inch into the clylinder and spray. Look at your key...the Vats pellet is on the side, the wafers you are lubricating are on the bottom.
Cool thanks for clearing that up..
-Rick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.