Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 72 vert, I locked the door and when I tried to unlock it nothing..... after further inspection I noticed the rod had come out of the mechanism. Well easy fix right??? well with the door closed the door panel cannot be removed. with the window down I can see the moving part of the lock with a flashlight and can reach the rod hole with a wire so i tried that....the lock will only move alittle and not enough to unlock. any Ideas how to open my door DC friends?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Inspect the image below. You'll see a metal tab with the red arrow pointing to it.

Peel back the top of the door panel so you can peer down in at the door latch. Get a long flat head screw driver, and get it on that tab under the arrow.

Give it a good hard push down while putting light outward pressure on the door, and it'll pop.

Helps to have a light aimed down do you can use both hands, and the screw driver will probably slip off a few times. Just stay with it.

Once it's open, get everything re-adjusted and tested before you close the door. I taped cardboard over the latch opening while I was working on it so it wouldn't close on me and get locked shut again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW!! You are the Man!!! I've been fishin around in there for 3 hours.......That worked like a charm! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
WOW!! You are the Man!!! I've been fishin around in there for 3 hours.......That worked like a charm! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

You're very welcome. I've been down that same frustrating road more than a few times, since owning 3 different '77 Corvettes. That equals 6 worn door latches. LOL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is old - but man this saved me - took a bit to find it without removing the door panel - but I just "peeled" back that plastic cover with a screw driver then I could see it (kinda) a few shots of lube and a tap with a screw driver and I am in.

Thanks for this!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I'm just glad this is something that can help people, even as a searched topic for those looking to solve a problem. :thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,779 Posts
Remove the latch assembly and clean/lube it now before it happens again. Very common problem with the C3's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts