Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is it just my luck or is this a common problem? If so what have others done to fix this?

The pic is of my door panel but I'm replacing the whole door that has a black panel on it. It too is loose on the top. I think the clips are broke off but it's not worped like the tan one.

Is this one of those just buy and replace the plastic clips so they too can break later? I'm hoping for a better way to secure the top.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Your door panels are different than mine but by looking at that pic it seems you could put a screw in the top ridge of that panel to hold it up tight to the door.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
If you pulled the door panel off the car and took some pictures of the back side I might be able to see why it does not hold well

I have not really had any problems with the 90-93 style panels staying in place, but I have heard of issues with the 94-96 ones

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I will try to get some better pics today while I'm stripping the parts car. I'm hoping to not have to pull the whole panal as I'm swaping the whole door out. My driver side glass shattered not too long ago. (well on my test drive to buy LOL) Easier to change the door then the glass and panal.

I thought about the screw through the top but then I'm looking at the outta place screw and the 21 questios that come with it all the time.

Looking at corvette central I'm not finding any replacement clips either.

DRMZ07 - Feel free to send me whatever scans you think might help me. [email protected] I would greatly apreciate it.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Thanks guys. I will try to get some better pics today while I'm stripping the parts car. I'm hoping to not have to pull the whole panal as I'm swaping the whole door out. My driver side glass shattered not too long ago. (well on my test drive to buy LOL) Easier to change the door then the glass and panal.

I thought about the screw through the top but then I'm looking at the outta place screw and the 21 questios that come with it all the time.

Looking at corvette central I'm not finding any replacement clips either.

DRMZ07 - Feel free to send me whatever scans you think might help me. [email protected] I would greatly apreciate it.
You will need to pull the door panel. To get to the wiring. The door wiring is part of the dash harness

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will need to pull the door panel. To get to the wiring. The door wiring is part of the dash harness
YEA! I kinda finding that out. :spanked: I was hoping that GM put a plug just under the dash but I guess not. So is their going to be a main plug in the door by the boot or is it hard wired in?

If i'm having to pull the panal anyway would it be easyier to just pull the glass for my green vettes door and swap panals? Seems I would be half way there to find any wire plugs anyway.

I'm going to be searching threads for panal removale too. I have all screws out that I could find but seem to have a solid hold behind arm rest. I'm not seeing any way to them and don't want to start prying and break something.

I'll be ck'n my email in a sec. Thanks DRMZ07

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Driver side screws:

One at back by the hatch release. 5 along bottom in carpet. 1 half way up on front in carpet. 2 in pull cup. 3 on door handle bezel which are; behind the handle towards front, behind slide lock and behind the light assembly.

There is no one connector to split harnesses. You need to disconnect each piece in the door. Not sure what you need to swap but it is easier to remove and replace over swapping the door. Adjustinggthe door itself is a daunting task especially when you will also have to adjust the glass too

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jeff. It was the screw behind the door lock that I was missing. I got the panal off and I'm just going to take the glass out of the donar car door. Glass looks to be held in by 3 bolts. Should be easy.

My Polo Green 93 wasn't love by the original owner to say the least. Paint, seats and door panals are shot. Driver side glass busted out. I got a free blue 93 parts car with all black inside that is in great shape. Stripping it to clean all carpets and such. Then I'll

strip all the tan interior outta my green vette
shoot a new paint job.
Install new sound system.
replace all the interior with the cleaned black.
Get windows tinted
new wheels.

All should be done by spring. I hope! :D

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Thanks Jeff. It was the screw behind the door lock that I was missing. I got the panal off and I'm just going to take the glass out of the donar car door. Glass looks to be held in by 3 bolts. Should be easy.
Yeah easy until you need to adjust the glas to get it to line up right.

Good luck

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey Jeff...... HELP!

So book said to remove handle screws by prying remote lock knob from rod.

HA! Pry aginst what? The plastic bezel that I now cracked and still can't get to the screw that is laughing at me while it hides under the lock knob.

I got to the black one yesterday off the parts car but cracked it too. Still useable.

How did you get yours off without breaking things?

:WTF:WTF:WTF:WTF:WTF:WTF:WTF

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LAME!

I got it. Book should say to pop off as the plastic that sits on the rod. Not slides though the middle of it as I was thingking.

Now I see how it is put together the next one will be easy.

Is it just me or dose some of the things on such a pricy car seem to be cheap. The stock seats with the plastic backing suck. Top of door panals commen prob. U can see the screws that hold the bottom of the door panal. And how much did someone pay for this off the lot?

I still love it though. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts