Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought a C3 Vette and when i arrived at home i cleaned it up closed the doors with the key.

The next day doors won't open, and i mean both doors!!!!

Tried for about an hour to get it open :(

Any ideas on how to open my vette?

It's a C3 vette 81

You have no idea how frustrated i am.
There is only one positive thing about it and the car is in my garage and not on a parking lot or something.

:(:(:(

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I had one door not open on my car but not two... Is yours electric locks?? You may also try a Slim Jim and see if you can Open it that way. On Mine the door mechanisim had worn out.. Do the outside door handels engage if not something inside the door has come loose..

Hope this helps

Dan

·
Registered
697 Posts
Not sure if they changed the tee-top design on the 81...but...on my '79....if you take a metal coat hanger and bend it into a hook you can wiggle it in between the weather strip and the tee-top at the back upper corner of the window and pop the tee top release lever.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fast replies, yes the doors are electric.

And a metal coat hanger that's something worth trying.

This will be for tomorrow, in any case i will keep you updated.

Bad start :(

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a similar situation on my passenger door. I damn near took the whole door apart only to find that it was the manual button in the arm rest that got stuck. The plastic twist on cap came off and would not allow the metal shaft to slide to open the door. It was actually stuck inside the arm rest. I had to take the arm rest off to fix.
Luckily it only happened to my passenger door.
Also-my passenger door is sometimes hard to open because it never got any use in 32 years so it needs to be lubricated. The lock is hard to turn and if you don't push down hard on the outside handle it won't open.
Do your locks turn? Maybe try some graphite in the locks if they don't.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all good news i got the passenger door open (with help) it worked with the key, the drivers door is a bigger problem but atleast i can get in the car now.

I'm gonna upload some pictures because it's a real beauty.

I lubricated both doors and the doors havent been used for over 10 years.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hope it is a quick fix since cruising season is upon us. Did you ever figure out what made the passenger door stick? Do you know what is wrong with the drivers door? I have only had one similar issue, and it was with an old mustang. The problem with the Mustang was that the metal levers inside the door that actuate the lock were out of alignment, so every now and then they would stick either all the way open, or all the way locked position.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the problem is the central door locks.

You have that switch on the inside of the door when i use that and then close the door i have a problem.

So for now i only use the key, this vette has'nt been used for over 10 years so problems like this are normal i think.

Soon i will upload some pictures i had some work on the interior which is now finished because like you said vette season has started :D.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if they changed the tee-top design on the 81...but...on my '79....if you take a metal coat hanger and bend it into a hook you can wiggle it in between the weather strip and the tee-top at the back upper corner of the window and pop the tee top release lever.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
EcordEddie
Could you please show how the hanger was bent. I can't get it in my head how you can hook the lever and pull it to open the t-top. It would really be helpful. I have both doors stuck on a 1977 that has been sitting outside for many years. The door panels are off, but I also can't get to the trip lever in the mechanism. Removing a T-top sounds like a perfect solution.
Thanks
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts