Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK fellow corvetters i need a plan for my car and where better then to ask you guys. i own a 03 auto with a 2.73 rear i took it to the track and it ran 13.7.everything is stock. i need to get her to the low 12 high 11 range. i need info on the best way to go with mods.my friend has a 06 mustang gt and i installed a supercharger for him and i dont hear the end of it cause hes faster running mid 12s. i gotta shut him up and need advice from the pros so can you help me? thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
twin turbo turbo cam build your trans get a rear gear for the track slicks and a tuneand maby some nos if your wallet isnt dried out already :devil:

that should get you MUCH faster then what you want to go

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
With your time slip you need to let us know what your budget is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reaction time-.5370,60ft. 2.2609,330ft. 6.0110,ET @ 594 8.5048,1/8 ET 9.0600,1/8 MPH 81.05,1000 ET 11.5780, 1/4 ET 13.7419, 1/4 MPH 105.64 sorry had to type it all out am computer challenged. do you think a rear gear would make a big difference? thats where i am thinking a gear exhaust and intake and tune. i still want to be able to drive it everyday as well so am not going too crazy and as usual money is always a factor. thank you

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
reaction time-.5370
60ft. 2.2609
330ft. 6.0110
ET @ 594 8.5048
1/8 ET 9.0600
1/8 MPH 81.05
1000 ET 11.5780
1/4 ET 13.7419
1/4 MPH 105.64
Was the weather conducive to making strong HP numbers? This a nice track?

Assuming sea level and a nice day, good air, that seems slow. I'm worried about that MPH.

Yes, tall gear is hurting you. Yes, a shorter gear will improve your ET and make around time driving a lot more fun (it will feel faster too). But, don't expect a huge jump in ET, 3/10th's I'm thinking. Maybe someone who's done the swap can comment.

Your MPH tells you how much beastly power your car has. And... your 105.64 mph is not good. If you had hooked and cut a 1.9 - 2.0 60 foot time your MPH would have dropped to the 103.5-104.5 mph range. (better hook at launch gets you a lower MPH, more wheelspin picks up MPH.

Any other racers say their MPH was down?

I've seen a bone stock 300hp 1993 Corvette w/auto run 13.1x's at 107 mph at sea level.

You can always dyno for grins and see what numbers you put down. But, seems like you should have more power than it shows.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
first and fomost is Tires and practice...then

Two schools of thought. one quick and dirty NOS ... draw backs are down the road the cost of replacing pistons, rods, and crank shafts...or complete motor.

second... Go with intake, exhaust, Cam & head package+tune. at some point you will have to beaf up the lower end, transmission. Your budget will evaperate quickly.

At some point you will have to ask your self is it cheaper to build your car or buy a faster one

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
125 Posts
If your budget is a real factor, don't forget there is a lot of LS used parts floating around (Firebirds and Camaro's) . Change the rear gearfor sure, put a set of heads on, the LS6 243 casting's respond to CNC machining and flow well or a set of 5.3 liter heads that have been worked. Again look for good used heads before buying new. A set of long tube headers, again look for used, and if you have any money left, buy a set of DOT legal slicks and get a tune from Jermey and then go practice. As I am sure you know you can run 11:1cr on 93 octane gas and 11:1 over 10:1 is a good 35 hp.
Then go burn up the track practicing to find the best launch and shift points.

You are 110% right, Vette's have the COOL factor over the little pony hands down!

Cheers,
DD

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your in the same shoes as I am as far as the budget. However, I'm not worried about where a Mustang stacks up against me.

You need something simple, straight-forward, and relatively cheap...

.......................................well buddy, your options are slim.:thud:

Although another member has semi-adequately covered this option, I would have to say NOS. BUT, you also need to get yourself some Stingers, Bullets, or LoudMouth and some type of cheaper LT header system to go with a 100 shot of NOS. Just so your buddy can get his ears blown by the awesome lethality of the LS1.:nuts: Cause your gonna bust his balls with the laughin' gas. Get it installed and tuned professionally, take every precaution possible when tuning and using this kit and only use it when racing your buddies Discustang. He'll never catch up to you. I wouldn't even touch your drivetrain until necessary, just get a set of taller, wider DR's. You'd probably be putting down something in the neighborhood of 400whp with the 100 shot and exhaust (which should net you some high 11's) and until you save up money to rebuild the drivetrain and get a $1500 cam and valvetrain setup...I would conservatively use the NOS and bolt on's. Once you've saved up down the road for something more, then you can ditch to cheap way to do things, and stick with the fun and expensive way to make power.

With all that said the poster above makes a pretty good suggestion of looking for used parts.

At some point in time your gonna have to ask yourself whether or not your gonna be satisfied long term with the performance given to you from the General. If you wish to keep the mods at a minimum, then go for the bolt-ons. If not, then just tell your buddy his "glory days" are soon to be at an end and start saving up for the stroker+rear end+turbos and skip the "I beat a modded Mustang" stage and go straight to the "I beat a modded Carrera GT" stage in your life.

·
Registered
102 Posts
stock vette compared to modded stang?

I have the same delema. I have almost stock(cat back)01 vette coupe A4 and buddy has a 99 stang M4, (blower,intake manifold,complete exhaust,tunning,etc). I think he dyno'd about 75 more horse than my 295 to the wheels. He's a real good friend and i enjoy watching him mod his car so i don't tell him but the reality is if his was stock it wouldn't hold a candle to my vette. I admire all makes of sports cars. I really like the C5 and C6 corvettes for the performance and price in stock form. The C5 right now is a bargain. I bought a $45000 new price super car with 22000miles for mid $20K(a true garage queen). Just tell your buddy he can return his stang to stock and then try to run with you. I think you both will laugh and still stay friends. Have fun with your cars that's what life is about. I personally believe if you go with simple bolt on items such as cold air intake,throttle body,F.A.S.T. manifold,maybe scorpion rockers,cat back exhaust,and good tunning you could smoke his blown stang. That's the route im thinking about going if i decide to accept the challenge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
he is really a great friend and his car is cool the thing is this is all for fun if i was serious and really wanted to beat him i would have never put the supercharger on for him it would still be in a box in his garage lol. i do love to race at the track and wanted some ideas from fellow enthusastes. great forums and great people.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I would think if you have the mechanical ability to install a supercharger on an 06 stang, you should be able to do a lot of the work on your Vette yourself
that should save you some good green! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
My advice considering your budget is:

cold air intake
long tube headers
cat-back system
3.42 gears
higher stall torque converter
drag radials

careful shopping should keep you close to your budget.

My 2000 C5 ran 12.90's with a 3.15 gear, Halltech intake, TPIS long tube headers and a Corsa cat back system.

One thing to remember, if your budget is $2500 - 3000, plan on spending $3500 - 4000 :laughing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts