Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do drag radials have better traction ???

They are the same size as regular tires, and the tread I've seen on DRs are varied.
Is it the type of rubber ???

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Being a single purpose tire it has a high-hysteresis tread compound that has energy-absorption characteristics. (I stole some of the lingo).

This tread compound, when subjected to continuous operation at very high speeds, could possibly overheat and blister if run at high speeds continuously.

Although it's DOT legal, the tire has no speed rating on the side.

Stick with regular radial tires unless you have a track car or extra set of wheels to put them on.:thumbsup:

·
Read Only
575 Posts
First of all, Drag Radials have very little tread. The few tread lines they do have are relatively shallow. This gives the tires more contact area. The more contact area you have between the tire and the ground the more friction you create giving you better traction.
Secondly, the side walls of drag radial are designed to flex instead of be stiff like conventional tires. When you launch and the side walls flexes it helps the tires to not break the friction point so you have traction instead of burnout. Also, when the side walls flexes it creates a slight bit more contact patch on the ground. The sidewall flex is also the reason, in conjunction with the lack of tread, that the tires are not speed rated.
Lastly, as I think Patrick was trying to say, the material the tires are made out of. The rubber compound used in Drag Radials are designed to be very sticky when heated up. Normal tires are designed to have a long life so they are not sticky and don't use up much of the rubber. Drag Radials, however, use a lot of their rubber and they don't last very long at all. When you heat up a Drag Radial and then do a hard launch you are leaving a nice patch of your rubber behind you on the ground. That is just one more feature that allows you to grab instead of spin.
I hope this helps.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts