Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Vette does "triathalon" duty by being 1) on the road 2) at the drag strip and 3) at the race tracks for HPDEs.

I am taking the plunge to buy "R" rated tires that are designed for the road tracks, because that is what I think i will doing most. I will be swapping them back and forth with my street tires as needed.

My question is this...can I use the road track tires efficiently enough at the drag strip? Will they perform better that the OEM fun flats? I've never heard of tires designed to do this type of double duty but i have to imagine they will be stickier than the stock tires. I am trying to think of the downfalls (ie. can they warm up enough) but I was curious to hear others thoughts.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
That question has often crossed my mind. Lets see what the forum has on this?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can we move this thread?

Anyone know how to move the thread to the general C6 section? Traffic in this section seems light, maybe it will get a better response elsewhere.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I just switched to Yokohama Adven Road Race Tires in Med Hard compound. I choose men hard compound because I wanted reasonable wear on the street.

My car is way faster than it was with the GY F1s. It hooks up much quicker from a stop and is lots more stable in slides.

:cheers:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question Tested

:surprised
My Vette does "triathalon" duty by being 1) on the road 2) at the drag strip and 3) at the race tracks for HPDEs.

My question is this...can I use the road track tires efficiently enough at the drag strip? Will they perform better that the OEM fun flats? I've never heard of tires designed to do this type of double duty but i have to imagine they will be stickier than the stock tires. I am trying to think of the downfalls (ie. can they warm up enough)
This weekend I did just that, I took my new Toyo R888 equipped Z51 to a day at the tracks..a Corvette biatholon if you will.

The day started at Pocono Raceway with HookedOnDriving (a great group who did an amazing job making you feel at home and like you got your money's worth for the day) doing hot laps around the South Course. There was a ton of track time, we probably had 8 or 9 25 minute sessions where the cars got nice and warmed up.

After a full day, 9 hours, of HPDE driving I met up with some of the boys at the local drag strip to do a few runs. What I found surprised me.

In previous runs with the car on stock EMT's I was easily able to dip into the mid 12 second runs...12.7, 12.8 with some consistency. On road track tires...not drag tires, I had 3 runs in the car which were all at 13.4's. Almost a full second off. :WTF Now I am no expert drag racer, so I think I could have done a little better on the launches but to be that far off shocked me. Plus the Toyos are a little smaller in total diameter so I thought that I would be able to see low 12's with all things considered.

I had reasonable wheelspin out of the box...no more or less than the EMT's and I thought I hooked up quicker with the Toyo's. The night was pretty humid but again I don't think it would have had that much of an effect.

There are two things that I can think of that may have made such a difference:

1) Because these are road track tires and not slicks, that even a short time in the burn out box isn't enough to bring them up to sticky temperature. But I would still think they would have more traction than the stock tires.

2) The car was beat from a full day at Pocono and just didn't have anything left in her.

Any thoughts? :huh:

As a quick aside I am continually impressed by how this car handles the various tasks I throw at it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
RUN4, just a note on how tires "loose their grip". Everytime you go out on the track and heat your tires up, you are putting a heat cycle on them. Each heat cycle will degrade the tire's performance a little. Also, when you punish your tires (track sessions), the number of heat cycles will determine grip, not the tread depth. What you usually see on a road course is that the more heat cycle on the tire, the more laps it takes to get them up to temp.
I really don't have an idea how long your Toyo's will maintain their grip, I mainly deal with slicks. If the Toyo's had a good bit of time on them, this may be why they wouldn't warm up is a short burnout.

On our racing slicks, we get 8 heat cycles before they start to really go off. After that they're only good for practice. We use a grease pencil to mark the inside of tire after each session to keep track of the heat cycles.

On your Toyo's, it's just a learning curve to find out when they start to go off. If you change to Yoko's, it's a new learning curve.:D

Hooked on Driving is one of the very best. They put out a DVD last year which is a must have for anyone who wants to get on a road course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.