Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha gang, going to be drilling into the body and rear soon to install an ACI spoiler. Any tips on drilling holes? Like put tape on painted area, then drill or such?
Mahalo for any input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Best bet is to put some painters tape around the area you are drilling into. start with a very small bit to begin with, then work your way up to the desired size. Depending on the area/thickness of metal you are working on, you can use a center punch to make a nice indent for where you need to drill the hole. This keeps the drill bit from possibly "walking" when trying to start a hole.

Hope that helps!

-Matt/EW

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Best bet is to put some painters tape around the area you are drilling into. start with a very small bit to begin with, then work your way up to the desired size. Depending on the area/thickness of metal you are working on, you can use a center punch to make a nice indent for where you need to drill the hole. This keeps the drill bit from possibly "walking" when trying to start a hole.

Hope that helps!

-Matt/EW
:agree: That's how I've always done it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kool, thanks. Thats how i'll do it. Was concerned about cracking the panel.
Mahalo.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are you drilling into fiberglass or metal? Fiberglass splinters easily. You might want to tape the back side, if possible. Watch the heat. Use sharp bits. Measure twice, drill once!

Oh, and get your stuff from Eastwood! They're up the street from me and have great service. Been a member for years. Little distance from Hawaii!

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not exactly sure yet, i'll be installing this spoiler, the add says, "bolt on installation, drilling required'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts