Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just had a strange experience the other day. I had my car parked for me at lunch and when it was brought back I got in and drove to my next stop. I shut down the car and when I tried to get back it I could not....I did not have my key FOB!! The restaurant forgot to give it back to me.....I thought the car would not run without the FOB in it??? It would not start again or let me in but is this correct? :crazy::lookinup::WTF

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've watch how valet park and retreive other people cars and will not let them touch mIne. Pay and park it yourself, keep the Fob.
Nowhere is safe for vette

VAN NUYS (KABC) -- A valet at a Van Nuys Chevrolet dealership crashed a high performance Z06 Corvette Friday night.

The driver apparently went for a joy ride in the vehicle. He crashed into several parked cars on Oxnard Street near Van Nuys Boulevard around 9:30 p.m., but walked away from the wreckage unharmed.

The accident happened just a short distance from Rydell Chevrolet, according to Los Angeles police.

The driver declined being taken to a hospital despite some minor injuries.

PB
-

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the only place I would do this. I go there all the time I know everyone including the GM and these guys are mature guys who do this for a leaving not some 20 year olds trying to make a buck. And they drive some much more expensive cars then mine so the trust is there. but is the car supposed to keep running without the FOB?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I don't own a C6 but here is the way it has been described to me. As long as the FOB is within range on initial start up you could drive away from the FOB and experience no issues. But once you shut the car off you can no longer start it until the FOB is back in range.

The example I heard was a guy who had started his C6 and left the FOB resting on a shelf in the garage while he went back inside to get something. Upon returning to the garage he simply got in the car and left, leaving the FOB in the garage. It wasn't until he made his first stop that he realized his mistake and his wife had to bring the FOB to him.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I saw that happen in an episode of top gear they where driving across country in a charger, zr1 and a ctsv. Then they stopped for lunch. While they where in the diner one of the guys snuck out, hopped into the charger that had this system in it and started it no problem . Put the car all the way in the slow lane on the highway and left it there to prank the other guy . It was funny. But it makes it an invetation to steal the car easily. now all a person has to do is bust the window hop in the car push the button and drive it strait to where ever they want. I don't like this system at all. Especialy if your a person who parks there vette outside. All a person needs to see is you leave your door unlocked and the car is theirs no broken window, no alarm hop in and go.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I let a guy take my vette for a spin, and realized I had the fob. This was the first time I recognized the flaw in this system.

I still have onstar, which allows me to contact them to disable the car.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I saw that happen in an episode of top gear they where driving across country in a charger, zr1 and a ctsv. Then they stopped for lunch. While they where in the diner one of the guys snuck out, hopped into the charger that had this system in it and started it no problem . Put the car all the way in the slow lane on the highway and left it there to prank the other guy . It was funny. But it makes it an invetation to steal the car easily. now all a person has to do is bust the window hop in the car push the button and drive it strait to where ever they want. I don't like this system at all. Especialy if your a person who parks there vette outside. All a person needs to see is you leave your door unlocked and the car is theirs no broken window, no alarm hop in and go.

Wonder how close they were to the car? My CTS won't allow the doors or the trunk to open unless I am within arms reach of the handle on the side of the car I'm on. Plus less than a minute outside of the car and it locks unless it's running.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My 05' wont let the car start or open the doors if im not with -in five feet of the car. I figured this would be for all C6's? Also when I try to shut the car off without the FOB in the car, it will not shut off and the dash always says no FOB detected, turn off with a question mark.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Hey guys I just had a strange experience the other day. I had my car parked for me at lunch and when it was brought back I got in and drove to my next stop. I shut down the car and when I tried to get back it I could not....I did not have my key FOB!! The restaurant forgot to give it back to me.....I thought the car would not run without the FOB in it??? It would not start again or let me in but is this correct? :crazy::lookinup::WTF
The FOB is supposed to be within 3 feet of the vette or the doors will not unlock.
Your vette was either left running or the valet driver had it on him and was within range.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
This is the only place I would do this. I go there all the time I know everyone including the GM and these guys are mature guys who do this for a leaving not some 20 year olds trying to make a buck. And they drive some much more expensive cars then mine so the trust is there. but is the car supposed to keep running without the FOB?
Yes...
You can exit the vette and walk away from it and it will continue to run with the FOB on you.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Well then I guess I am the only one to do this. Went to the auto parts store to get some cleaning supplies. Went in and got the necessary supplies. When I go back outside and got into the car, the usual bs message came up about "No FOBS DETECTED". Usually when this happens, I have to take the FOB out of my pocket so the car can detectect it, but unfortunately this was not the case. I had put them on the BBQ pit adjasnt to the car and drove off. I blame myself, not the car.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So from what i read here it is normal for the car to start with the FOB near it and then you can drive the car with OUT the fob and it will run and can be driven until you shut it down and then are you screwed. So if you leave you car running to warm up and someone wants to take a joy ride as long as they do not shut down the car they can drive it as long as they want? Not much of a security system? Wouldn't it be nice if the system shut down the engine if you tried to drive it and the Fob was not in the car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me a week ago. I went to a Chevy dealer, the salesman brought the fob, we get in and the battery is dead. He gets someone to jump us from the shop, he is given the fob, jumps the car, we get in and sail off without the Fob. We did not notice till we got back...

My Girlfriends KIA will shut off if the Fob is out of range....go figure

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
YA! Wouldnt you think these expesive cars would do the same as a KIA? :crazy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts