Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car suffered a small cut in the driver leather seat at the dealer, they offered to get it fixed. My question is will the new leather match the rest of the leather? the upholstery guy is only replacing the right side of the seat piece which is in 3 pieces.Also whats involved in them removing my driver side seat which is powered? Does Gm offer the whole 3 piece seat instead of just replacing one section ?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
If it doesn't match don't accept it...then make them replace the rest.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Does anyone know whats involved in removing the whloe seat ?
Yah. I removed them. It's simple enough. Four bolts and disconnect the wiring harness. Lift out the whole seat. The tough part is getting at the bolts.

Removing the seat from the interior without the mounting brackets gouging something is impossible for one person. I hope the person removing the seat has sense enough to get help lifting it out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My car suffered a small cut in the driver leather seat at the dealer, they offered to get it fixed. My question is will the new leather match the rest of the leather? the upholstery guy is only replacing the right side of the seat piece which is in 3 pieces.Also whats involved in them removing my driver side seat which is powered? Does Gm offer the whole 3 piece seat instead of just replacing one section ?
From experience it is not wise to just sew in the section that is damaged -
the only way to go is to have the entire leather seat bottom cover replaced -The cover is not that expensive

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the dealer have the seats and how much did u pay for them i think they are just (the dealer) trying to take the cheap way out. The guy at the upholstery shop ordered a gm sample and if it matches its okay if he sews it in but if it does not match i will have to look into getting the whole bottom seat redone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Does the dealer have the seats and how much did u pay for them i think they are just (the dealer) trying to take the cheap way out. The guy at the upholstery shop ordered a gm sample and if it matches its okay if he sews it in but if it does not match i will have to look into getting the whole bottom seat redone.
I had the seat bottom replaced on a 98 and on a 2001 - dealer had to order the part and it took about 1 week and the dealer cost was about 165 back
then - would imagine now maybe 200 - 250 . In any case this is the best solution. Many years ago I had a section sewn in on another car and all the stitching on the sewn in section wore out even though the orig. stitching remained perfect

·
Registered
109 Posts
If done by an experienced auto upholstery shop-you will never be able to tell the difference. Had the side bolster on the drivers side of my neutral leather 2000 Z-28 seat repalced by a guy who does custom auto upholstery, little over $100 and NO ONE could tell it had been replaced--even though it was neutral leather which shows anything if not perfect

·
Super Moderator
10,114 Posts
If it doesn't match don't accept it...then make them replace the rest.
I totally agree. Make it clear to them right up front that you are picky and if you don't like the job when completed, they will end up paying for a new cover.

Allstate tried to get me to accept a windshield repair rather than replacing my "starred" windshield. When I told them they could go ahead and give it a try, but if I didn't like the job, I would insist on a new windshield, they skipped the repair attempt and went straight for the replacement. Might work in your situation too.

Good Luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
Going Over My New 07 At Delivery Time, I Found That The Zipper On The Back Of The Driver's Seat Had Come Apart. The Dealer Ordered In A New Leather Cover, Ask If I Wanted Them Or Me To Drive The Car To The Uposter Shop. Since I Was Busy That Day I Told Them They Would Have To Drive The Car. I Ask Them The Approx Milage Which Was Under 10 Miles. I Ask Them To Document The Mileage. The Seat Came Back Looking As If It Had Always Been In The Car. The Mileage Was 7.3 And The Car Was Parked Inside At The Dealership. The Old Cover Was In The Cargo Area Of The Car For My Inspection But The Dealer Said He Needed It To Send Back To Gm For The Warrenty. All In All Except For The Aprox 30 Minutes For Drop Off And Pick Up I Was Out Nothing And And I Had A Good Experience With The Dealership. I Have Found That The Deivl Is In The Details When Dealing With A Dealership = I Tell Them What I Expect And See If They Can Delver To My Expectations. If They Can We Write Everything Down. If They Can't I Go Elsewhere! If I Don't Understand Something I Don't Leave The Service Writers Desk Til I'm Satisfied Even If There Are 10 Other People Waiting In Line Behind Me. If My Expectations Are Not Met When I Pick Up The Car, I Ask To Talk With The Service Manager And General Manager Along With The Service Writer At The Service Writer's Desk With Other Customers Looking On. In The Last 5 Years I Have Had To Have Only One Of These "talks". At That Time I Had My Wife Take The Avalance In For An Oil Cange And To Show Her How To Program The Seat. For Some Reason The Service Writer Told Her It Would Cost About $150 For Them To Program The Seats On A New Truck. Needless To Say The "loud, Disruptive Talk" While Others Were Picking Up Cars At The End Of The Day Seemed To Solve That And All Future Service Problems To Date. Oh, And Don't Forget To Always Complete The Service Satisfaction Form From Gm = It's Very Important Too!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yesterday i went to the dealer and i told them the piece of leather that was going to be removed and replaced with another piece did not match 100% when myself and the upholstery guy looked at it. Thismorning around 10 am i get a call from my friend that sold me my car, he said they would order the whole seat cover for me on monday, to say the least i was delighted to hear that. U guys on DC are a great bunch of guys thanx for always helping me with my dilemmas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts