Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn my left blinker on when coming to a stop or just cruisin slow in town it Blinks very very Fast. Probably 4 blinks per second. When I apply the brake and put more of a load on the charging system (I have Halo led tail lights) it seems to want to blink faster. Although there are times it blinks perfectly. It is embarrasing at nite when it is doin this.

The right blinker does not do it.

I have brought up in the DIC what my system is charging when it is doing this. It is 13.5 vdc with some small fluctuation. Normal driving it charges 13.9 to 14.0 vdc. It does this in day driving to without the headlights on.

Anyone ever experienced this?

·
Web Head
15,763 Posts
Yep. I've got the Halo's and the front led's and mine will occasionally do this also. Starts blinking like it just took a hit of Meth :laughing:
I just don't worry about it. If some were to say anything about it I'd just tell them that it's my Vettes natural need to race :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This should fix your problem and give you a quieter turn-signal click sound at the same time...

http://www.corvette-enhancements.com/c5_flasher_fix.php
Thanks for the link. What I do not understand is why only one blinker does it?

I installed the Halos over 2 years ago, this hyper blinking blinker just started a month ago. What else would make a blinker do this? Ground, bad blinker lens assembly?

I have noticed condensation in the front left blinker. Doesnt that mean there is a hole or crack? I cant see any but it is getting moisture in there somehow. Looks like its gonna be hell to take it out.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Well, for sure if you can see condensation in the lens, then moisture could be wreaking havoc. Getting in there is not fun especially if you have big hands. I think Junkman may have a write-up on this posted somewhere as to how to access those bulbs. I have small hands and three joints between my wrist and elbow, so it was just painful for me to change my bulbs.

The only LEDs that I have on my car are the Rear Halos and the Muth Signal Mirrors (nothing up front). But I started getting hyper-flashing usually when I made a sharp turn to park and the turned the car off. Upon re-starting the car my turn signal if left on would hyper-flash for the first few seconds. The harness I mentioned solved all my problems.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you checked to see if your front nose corner bulb is burt out? I do not have Halo's, but when MINE did what your talking about it was just a corner turning bulb that was burnt out and needed to be replaced.

This is a thread I made about two years ago...
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76609

Hope it helps! :thumbsup:

James
1N189
I looked at both my corner lights and both are working. I actually stuck my hand in the brake air duct, pushed it outta the way and easily twisted the turn signal bulb out. I pulled it all the way out in front of the bumper and it shows no signs of corrosion. Reinstalled it and checked it again. Couldnt reach the side marker lamp through the air duck though... but it is working.
There is moisture in the lenz though. Small hairline crack at the bottom left hand side.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
You almost had it figured out but you missed a step. When you pulled the bulb out to inspect it, you saw that it was burning. What you failed to realize is that the bulb is a dual element bulb. What this means is that when you turn your turn signals on, the bulb actually blinks brighter. You should have turned your turn signals on and what you could have seen is that it is not blinking, only burning. Replace the bulb and your problem will go away.

I did have a situation once where the bulb was not fully seated. That's another thing to look at.

Lastly, if there is condensation in the lens, it 99.9% of the times enters through this hole:

This is where your condensation is coming from.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Dang Junkman, you sure do take good pictures! Great lighting on that one! :cheers:
Thanks man! :thumbsup:

I was happy that you can actually see the top of the bulb in that picture. It gives good reference as to how close the bulb sits to the housing, and thus burns a hole through it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You almost had it figured out but you missed a step. When you pulled the bulb out to inspect it, you saw that it was burning. What you failed to realize is that the bulb is a dual element bulb. What this means is that when you turn your turn signals on, the bulb actually blinks brighter. You should have turned your turn signals on and what you could have seen is that it is not blinking, only burning. Replace the bulb and your problem will go away.

I did have a situation once where the bulb was not fully seated. That's another thing to look at.

Lastly, if there is condensation in the lens, it 99.9% of the times enters through this hole:

This is where your condensation is coming from.
So, it looks like to me that the bulb burns a hole in the inner plastic top of the lenz? Or are they like that new?

When I had the wiring harness with blinker bulb plugged in hanging outside the duct hole I saw it was a dual filament. One larger than the other. I turned key to "on", then turned my blinker on and the larger filament was flashing and the small one was on all the time. That is because you have to have your key to "on" so the blinker will work. Thus making the DRL (small filament) stay lite constantly.

That would be correct? Right?

You must have had your headlight out to get that pic I assume :). I will take a look at it one more time, or just put a new bulb in.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
So, it looks like to me that the bulb burns a hole in the inner plastic top of the lenz? Or are they like that new?

When I had the wiring harness with blinker bulb plugged in hanging outside the duct hole I saw it was a dual filament. One larger than the other. I turned key to "on", then turned my blinker on and the larger filament was flashing and the small one was on all the time. That is because you have to have your key to "on" so the blinker will work. Thus making the DRL (small filament) stay lite constantly.

That would be correct? Right?

You must have had your headlight out to get that pic I assume :). I will take a look at it one more time, or just put a new bulb in.
I've had my headlights in and out of that car so many times, I'v lost count.

You are right, the bulb actually burns through the DRL lens itself. That big circular hole was put there by GM because they knew there was a heat issue. It is supposed to dissipate the heat, but the bulb still burns through over time.

If you in fact tested the turn signal and both filaments were lit, then try re-seating the bulb. If it still hyperflashes, then try replacing the bulb. If the good bulb is still hyperflashing then you have water in that socket.

One thing I forgot to ask. Do you have the hazard switch bypass cable installed?

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Looking at your original post, one of my first thoughts was that you had a bulb out (as this will usually make your signals flash quickly), but when you said that it was erratic (comes and goes and changes under loads), that is what made me think this was an LED harness fix. Most Halos have a ballast resistor on each unit and these perform to varying efficiencies. If this is the source of the problem, the harness is the only fix I have found.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had my headlights in and out of that car so many times, I'v lost count.

You are right, the bulb actually burns through the DRL lens itself. That big circular hole was put there by GM because they knew there was a heat issue. It is supposed to dissipate the heat, but the bulb still burns through over time.

If you in fact tested the turn signal and both filaments were lit, then try re-seating the bulb. If it still hyperflashes, then try replacing the bulb. If the good bulb is still hyperflashing then you have water in that socket.

One thing I forgot to ask. Do you have the hazard switch bypass cable installed?
All the wiring is still stock from Chevrolet. When I turn my emergency flashers on it does not hyper flash.
I took the flasher bulb w/ wire harness out again today. Took the bulb out. No signs of water in the socket. The socket is white but shows a little browning tint where the bulb goes in. From the heat I reckon. It is not melted.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking at your original post, one of my first thoughts was that you had a bulb out (as this will usually make your signals flash quickly), but when you said that it was erratic (comes and goes and changes under loads), that is what made me think this was an LED harness fix. Most Halos have a ballast resistor on each unit and these perform to varying efficiencies. If this is the source of the problem, the harness is the only fix I have found.
Which harness are you talking about? From blinker or Halo wire harness? I am not getting what your saying, sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
If you will go to the link I posted in Post #4 that will show you the replacement harness you need if you are using any signal LEDs anywhere in the car. This modifies the stock flasher behavior and works with both standard and LED signals.

It comes with full instructions and photographs. You basically drop the knee bolster under the steering wheel, unplug the factory harness and plug in the replacement harness. Takes maybe 20 minutes. This monitors the entire signal circuit for the car.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts