Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Z06. My driver side window decided to not go down today. Just checked for error codes, nada. Looking at the shop manual it looks like the window switch piece just pops out. Guess I'll start there to see if anything is amiss. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before. Thank you.

Also, the plastic piece that pops in behind the inside door handle seems to have ran way. GM dealer for replacement?

·
Registered
914 Posts
yes.....The plastic filler behind the door handle is available at the dealership.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. My passenger side does not stay in either, silly. I'll get a new one for the driver's side and figure out a simple glue to keep the silly things in place - crap design.

After a few try's, I got my driver's side door panel off. Popped the red reflector out and could see how the attachments work. Mine took quite a bit of fussing to get it off without breaking anything. The male plastic plugs are quite long and there's about an inch of thread that holds them in the female side, so you have to really pry them off a good distance to get the panel off. Working on interior parts is always a "feel" operation. You need to use a little muscle here and there, but it sure is easy to break pieces ....

Basically, I think I'm in for a big GM parts bill. The motor is very hot to the touch - shorted out I'm guessing. And the regulator/motor is replaced as a unit. Haven't priced it yet. :thud:Like others, I really don't want the clowns at my dealership to do it. I've torn my '84 door apart quite a few times, and while the Z06 is a far superior design, they basically are the same.

Anyone know where I can get the black caulking/glue stuff that is used to seal things up? It's spiffy stuff, but I'm not sure if I can just slap the old pieces back on. I'm guessing it needs new caulking/glue.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Hold your horses partner, I think your stage coach is leaving town a little early.

This is a well documented issue. The first thing that you should have tried was slamming the door while holding the switch (up or down, depending on where your window is). The next line of attack is banging the door panel where the motor is located while holding the switch down. If that doesn't work, you need to remove the door panel, get a hammer and strike the motor while holding the switch down. Usually, one of these actions will free the motor as sometimes it will bind up from lack of use.

It takes a pretty good whack to free the motor sometimes. Here's a writeup that LT1SPUD did a while ago.

My passenger door window became stuck/busted the other day in the up position....push the down button and all i get is a "click" sound coming from the door....i'm thinking "ok, this is going to be a pain to fix"... not so!!!! i relate my woes to a good friend and he says to bring the Vette over to his house and he'll have it fixed in 5 minutes....I'M IN!!!!

Tools required:

1 small pocket screwdriver
1 long necked screwdriver
1 hammer
an assistant (unless you're a three armed mutant)

1st: remove the small cover on the door just down and back of the hand grip with the small screwdriver

cover removed:

Next, align long necked screwdriver under the rear hex head bolt as shown:

now, while having the assistant turn the key to the "on" position and then repeatedly pushing the window "down" button, give the big screwdriver a couple of whacks with the hammer......window should roll on down.......

that is all....

As for the plastic piece and the entire door assembly stuff, it does work and you don't have to use crazy glue to hold anything in place. That tells me that you or someone put that piece on upside down and broke it. Common mistake. If you put it on correctly, it will stay in place until you remove it. The tabs determine the orientation of that piece. Put it on wrong and the tabs will break.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply.

After I removed the door panel, I banged on the motor firmly with the palm of my hand many times, I could hear the clicks as I pushed the up and down buttons. I pushed/pulled on the window too - it's stuck up. The motor was very hot, most likely cause of that is a short in the motor/regulator.

The motor/regulator is not very expensive, ordered it from Amazon. I prefer to replace bad parts, not fix them with a hammer and screw driver or slam doors thank you. To each his own partner. ;)

The plastic piece is not broken and it is not upside down. They do not snap in properly, the door panel is plastic. My car, unfortunately, is not garaged, it's hot here and the assorted plastic pieces that comprise the interior don't like it.

I unsnap my visors and rotate them down a bit to hold the window reflector up firmly on the dash/front window. Guess what? The plastic piece that the visors clip on to do not snap properly anymore. I do not slam the visors up in to the clip, I'm careful with it. I was going to lightly crimp them in a vise grip and place them in a warm toaster oven, followed by a quick trip to the freezer after I get my window mess straightened out. If that doesn't work, I'll buy new ones.

The plastic piece that slips over the HUD brightness control doesn't stay on. Replacing interior parts on a Vette is a well documented issue, at least for us clowns without a proper garage to park them in...... :D

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Well, I wouldn't call heat causing stuff to deform a "design flaw", that's more like a physic's reaction that cannot be controlled if you allow that much heat to continually penatrate your interior.

As for the window motor, that is a design issue. They haven't changed the design so the issue is still going to occur with the one you bought given you continue to keep the car within the same circumstances. Lots of folks have reported that the "bang on the motor" has resolved their issue and since then, frequent use of the window has rendered a repeat of the repair unnecessary. For me, that's a solid fix. If you take a look at all the DIY's that I have done, you'll quickly realize that I allow nothing to remain broke on my Vette, regardless of how trivial it is.

Right now, the dashboard is on it's way out of the car. Write-up to follow. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts