Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the driver's side headlamp ran into issue.

The headlight works (flips up and down) but when it goes into the "closed position", it makes an aweful sound as if the gears are continuing to close even though the headlamp is down.

I can have the headlight closed with the lights off if I ever-so slightly pull the headlight-knob out by a hair but there is very little play to do this.

Anyone had this happen to them?

Will I be looking for a rebuilt headlamp motor soon or is this something that sounds like I can align, grease and repair?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
You need new gears, my man!

I'd recommend the pair, and get enough for BOTH sides.

Steven

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
I agree. I changed mine a couple of years ago.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now those are super-fast quality responses. Thanks guys. :partyon:

Is the gear swap pretty simple? Once I have the motors open, I guess I can also look to clean and grease other essential areas.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
When you get the gears, there is a simple set of instructions printed up. No pics (at least from the kit purchased through Ecklers).

I've got a buddy with an '87 that has the same problem, and I'm planning to help him with his repair. I'm hoping to take pics & do a write up on it, but it may have to be delayed (minor health issue!) a week or two.

The good news is that the gears generally fail and not the motor!

Steven

·
Registered
724 Posts
Did both mine with the plastic kits and they work like new again. Not too bad to do if you are mechanically inclined. Might mark where the brackets that hold them in are so you get them lined back up during reinstallation.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My 94 has the exact same problem... like the headlight would pop or something like if it wanted to keep spinning. Turned out to be just the gears they had turned into dust LOL. After I replaced them they worked Perfect never had a problem again. Hope this helps

Frank

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I had that exact problem last year. Buy the bronze gears and some white grease, you won't regret it. You'll also need a tube of black RTV silicone, and that's about it if I recall. It's actually not too hard of a job, and very rewarding when it doesn't make that sound anymore.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
6 months later, headlight all fixed. :laughing:

Can you tell other things became more important? Ah well, the headlight assembly was a pain but it all went back together just fine. More effort to replace it, then time I actually ever use the headlights.

The problem ended up being the larger gear, which has a deep groove dug into it by the bolt that spins it. Swapped it out, good to go.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yesterday the driver's side headlamp ran into issue.

The headlight works (flips up and down) but when it goes into the "closed position", it makes an aweful sound as if the gears are continuing to close even though the headlamp is down.

I can have the headlight closed with the lights off if I ever-so slightly pull the headlight-knob out by a hair but there is very little play to do this.

Anyone had this happen to them?

Just happened last week. My wife used the car to go to work. Had the lights on to go to work. Came home parked the car in the driveway, she won't pull it it into the garage. When I got home, hopped into the Vette to turn it around to back it into the garage, shut the lights off and that's when I heard that awful noise coming from the drivers side headlight!

Based on the responses in this thread I'll be getting a set of brass gears.

·
Daily News
2,373 Posts
My 94 has the exact same problem... like the headlight would pop or something like if it wanted to keep spinning. Turned out to be just the gears they had turned into dust LOL. After I replaced them they worked Perfect never had a problem again. Hope this helps

Frank
'85 vettes don't have the Delrin bushings, that was on 1988-96 models. They have gears, as others have already stated.:thumbsup:

·
Daily News
2,373 Posts
Yea, here's what my caused my headlight noise... nasty groove.

Be sure and coat the new gears with plenty of white lithium grease to ensure years of trouble-free operation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts