Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I have a 95' LT1 convertible. Just today my drivers side rear tire started rubbing against the inside fender whenever I hit a bump. When I looked the at both rear wheels, I could put a finger above the tire on the passenger side but not the driver's side. Could my composite spring be cracking?
Note My car has the optional Z51 suspension package and the selectable ride system.

I am not sure how the select ride works. Does it provide any lift to the car like an air shock? If so maybe that could account for the loss of about an inch or two of height? Could my spring be breaking?

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
saltyhacker said:
Hello everyone.
I have a 95' LT1 convertible. Just today my drivers side rear tire started rubbing against the inside fender whenever I hit a bump. When I looked the at both rear wheels, I could put a finger above the tire on the passenger side but not the driver's side. Could my composite spring be cracking?
Note My car has the optional Z51 suspension package and the selectable ride system.

I am not sure how the select ride works. Does it provide any lift to the car like an air shock? If so maybe that could account for the loss of about an inch or two of height? Could my spring be breaking?
My shocks were blown out on my 96 GS with 40k miles. The ride was brutal, but it never hit the wheel well... and my car is lowered!

It's not uncommon for the car to vary by an inch from left to right side in the rear... seems to be very common. I leveled it out when I lowered it.

Is your car lowered? That sounds REALLY low with your finger measurement.

If it's hitting the well on a stock suspension, I would think the spring has cracked. Have you visually inspected it? It would be dangerous to drive this way. Erratic suspension behavior could kill you if you do an emergency manuever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: drivers side tire rubbing, bad spring/shock?

Patrick96LT4 said:
My shocks were blown out on my 96 GS with 40k miles. The ride was brutal, but it never hit the wheel well... and my car is lowered!

It's not uncommon for the car to vary by an inch from left to right side in the rear... seems to be very common. I leveled it out when I lowered it.

Is your car lowered? That sounds REALLY low with your finger measurement.

If it's hitting the well on a stock suspension, I would think the spring has cracked. Have you visually inspected it? It would be dangerous to drive this way. Erratic suspension behavior could kill you if you do an emergency manuever.
Hi Patrick,
Thanks for your reply. My suspension is not lowered.
I have been reading all the great posts here at digitalcorvettes.com and read a post http://digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2940
I see that you said:

I put Z51 shocks in my car about 6 weeks ago, and my car went UP 3/4 inch or so in the front, and about a 1/2 " in the back. CRAZY!
Question: If one of my Z51 shocks was blown, could this account for the car being lower on the driver's side rear? Are those selectable ride shocks adding to the lift of my car? Sure shounds like there are.

I tend to think that the problem must be a blown shock or a rubber piece missing as I think that if the composite spring where to crack it would loose all it's structural strength almost immediately but who knows.

I do have the upgraded Z51 or Z52 suspension in the car. I know there is some way to figure it out by the number of revolutions that the stearing wheel makes. But the car is not here to test right now.

I have not inspected the car's rear suspension yet but if anyone knows what to look for it would be helpful.

I am trying to figure out if I need to replace the shocks or the spring. If it's the shocks I hope to just purchase direct replacements from a online provider like madvet.com. If it's the composite spring then I will buy a suspension kit with stiffer springs for increased performance.

All replies greatly appreciated, Saltyhacker.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: drivers side tire rubbing, bad spring/shock?

saltyhacker said:

I am trying to figure out if I need to replace the shocks or the spring. If it's the shocks I hope to just purchase direct replacements from a online provider like madvet.com. If it's the composite spring then I will buy a suspension kit with stiffer springs for increased performance.

All replies greatly appreciated, Saltyhacker.
Shocks are real easy...only 2 bolts hold them on. Spring is kinda a pita....If you do the spring make sure you have a jack under the side you are loosening or things could get ugly! :surprised I still think you have a wheel out of line...there are 2 ajusters with little notches on them...looks like a washer but off center....if one is off it definetly could cause tire rub!:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Re: Re: Re: drivers side tire rubbing, bad spring/shock?

saltyhacker said:
Question: If one of my Z51 shocks was blown, could this account for the car being lower on the driver's side rear? Are those selectable ride shocks adding to the lift of my car? Sure shounds like there are.

Yes, the ride height went up. But that could be due to it being lowered. A lowered car with a stock shock will have the shock compressed slightly at all times - even when it's parked in the garage. The Z51 shocks are certainly stiffer, and the shock is fighting the lowering of the car. It's either this, or a combo of other variables. Pretty hard to tell.

Check out this thread. Re missing pieces....

http://digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5230

Yes, a visual inspection will tell you a lot. Be sure to compare left side to right side, look for the rubber bushings on the 8" vertical bolts that go through the leaf spring. I haven't heard of these becoming. But, I have heard of cracked or seriously delaminated springs.

I do have the upgraded Z51 or Z52 suspension in the car. I know there is some way to figure it out by the number of revolutions that the stearing wheel makes. But the car is not here to test right now.
Check your option codes label that is in your secret rear storage compartment. Tell us what they are, and we can tell you what options you have.

I have not inspected the car's rear suspension yet but if anyone knows what to look for it would be helpful.

I am trying to figure out if I need to replace the shocks or the spring. If it's the shocks I hope to just purchase direct replacements from a online provider like madvet.com. If it's the composite spring then I will buy a suspension kit with stiffer springs for increased performance. All replies greatly appreciated, Saltyhacker.
I bought my Bilstein Z51 shocks for $299 (that's for ALL FOUR) at Ecklers.

How many miles on your car? Personally, I will be replacing mine every 40k miles. They just got bad gradually, and I didn't notice it until it was horrific.

Take some detailed digital pics of your rear suspension if you can. Check out ALL of your shock bolts, the lower one and the upper 2 - and check that spring! Get a flashlight, and compare sides.
:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Oh, and before you even think of remove the rear leaf spring nuts, I need to warn you that the leaf spring can whip at you and CAUSE YOU TO DIE.

I'm not kidding. Best left to a professional or a REALLY good and safety concious buddy who works on cars. Have two people to do the job right. You need jacks and jack stands.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
Oh, and before you even think of remove the rear leaf spring nuts, I need to warn you that the leaf spring can whip at you and CAUSE YOU TO DIE.

I'm not kidding. Best left to a professional or a REALLY good and safety concious buddy who works on cars. Have two people to do the job right. You need jacks and jack stands.
:agree:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check your option codes label that is in your secret rear storage compartment. Tell us what they are, and we can tell you what options you have.
Here are my option codes:
VIN# 1G1YY32P4S5113830 1YY67
AG1 AG2 AK5 AQ9 AUO BGR C05 C68 DL5 DL8 FE1 FX3 G44
G92 IL3 J55 KG9 LT1 MX0 M30 NB6 NG1 NK4 QB6 R7A UJ8
UXD U1F U52 U75 VL7 V73 WYS XFR YFS 1AY 1SD I9I I93
41T 70U
BC/CC WA- U9075 41T 193

Turns out Patrick and Jeff were right on the money, cracked spring. I used a flashlight to look at the rear spring and it is indeed cracked. I also found the original window sticker for my car. I don't see anything about the Z51 suspension on it. The guy I bought it from said it was included.. but the sticker doesn't show that.

Is there a webpage that explains how to decode the option codes I pasted above?

Problem is what to do now? buy a new stiffer spring? Buy a set of coil-overs for the rear only?
Do the coil-overs replace the spring entirely?

Many thanks, Saltyhacker

1 - 10 of 10 Posts