Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
What??? I have to get a driveshaft loop? I have 3 shafts?
YEah, I don't know the NHRA/IHRA ruling on half shafts..

the reason for the Driveshaft loop is if the front U-joint broke, your car would not Pole vault itself down the track

I have a PN somewhere around here for a loop kit someone got on Summit.. you use 1/2 the loop on the C beam and it should work.. I will be installing one this year.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a PN somewhere around here for a loop kit someone got on Summit.. you use 1/2 the loop on the C beam and it should work.. I will be installing one this year.
Jeff,
I plan on doing the same thing with the loop I bought from Summit, part# SUM-G7900. I've read about someone doing it but is it legal?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Route 66 is having tech inspections March 29 and 30, by appointment, but if you have a quick question you may be able to get it answered there, or you can check the NHRA web site, there is some tech info there, also phone numbers and e-mail address to get questions answered.
I'm also getting half shaft hoops installed, just in case. Here's the contact info for Division 3:

Jay Hullinger, Director
5 West State Road 218
Bunker Hill, IN 46914
(765) 689-8727 fax: (765) 689-7956
e-mail: [email protected]
Illinois; Indiana; Kentucky; Michigan; Ohio; Wisconsin; and Western Ontario, Canada

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
War machine said:
Jeff,
I plan on doing the same thing with the loop I bought from Summit, part# SUM-G7900. I've read about someone doing it but is it legal?
Is it legal, good question, At least the one side is :D, I am probably either going to do that or Buy this one http://www.zfdoc.com/c4SafetyLoop.htm

Not sure yet, but I need to decide soon!!

EDIT, I emailed the guy Arnie posted..

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
War machine said:
:cool: Can't wait to hear what he says! :D
I got an email back concerning the Driveshaft loop. I did not ask about halfshafts loops..

Jeff:

You must have a 360 degree 1/4-inch thick and 2-inch wide mounted loop within
6-inches of front universal joint. This loop can bolt together.

Ritch Bowers
NHRA Division 3 Tech Director
I guess, either well need to bolt the loop around the 'C; Beam, or buy the one from ZFDOC

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
My car is at Alston in Antioch right now getting the roll bar, half shaft hoops and driveshaft hoop installed. I'm not sure if the half shaft hoops are needed, but I'm getting them just in case something happens. They should reduce any additional damage done by a half shaft flopping around.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Arnie said:
My car is at Alston in Antioch right now getting the roll bar, half shaft hoops and driveshaft hoop installed. I'm not sure if the half shaft hoops are needed, but I'm getting them just in case something happens. They should reduce any additional damage done by a half shaft flopping around.
I emailed him back about 1/2 shaft hoops.. here was his reply
Stock Corvette rearend is fine until it runs quicker than 11.00 in the 1/4

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for posting the results Jeff!

I don't think the Summit loop I bought will fit then. Unless....I'm looking at the zfdoc loop and it looks like I can cut the Summit loop but then I'd have to see if I can get the rest fabbed up for less that $180.

·
Cleaner than Stock, Faster than Phock
726 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Here's something from the NHRA web site Technical FAQ's:

When do I need a roll bar or roll cage, and what should it look like?

A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.99 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.99. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

The roll cage of any vehicle running 9.99 or quicker, or 135 mph or faster, must also be certified by NHRA every 3 years, and have a serialized sticker affixed prior to participation.

I would be pleasantly suprised if I ran in the 10's, but as long as my car was getting a roll bar installed, I figured that I might as well get the half shaft hoops installed. In case something happens I don't want a half shaft flopping around causing more damage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts