Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new GS Vert this past summer.

All and all I have had my top down maybe several times and only during a clear, pleasant warm night.

Once, I rode top down while it was sunny and in the upper 80's low 90's.

Miserable!

Sun was everywhere, I was sweating on my interior like a fat pig. Not to mention how your interior will fade like a stored back yard boat "

This am I take a ride and notice two drivers with their tops down and windows up?

Man, it is 49 degrees.

To me, if you drive in any of these two situations you don't care if you feel miserable as long as you can just act like a show off.

What other reason?
My 2- Cents!

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I feel the same when I take my coupe top off. I can't imagine having a vert.

The only other reason I can think of putting your top down would to be able to hear your great exhaust.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
My wife drives with her top down all the time.....she doesn't have a vert either. :laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
We have two Corvette convertibles + the Arizona sun.

We only put our tops up to wash the cars, other than that... they are down 100% of the time and we drive the vettes every day. Even when it's 110 degrees out.

Yes, it's hot in the sun. Yes, the interior gets dusty. Yep, I'm sure the sun is pounding on the plastic pieces. Yes, I even leave the top down when I park at the mall or a restaurant. :laughing:

Funny that we have two different views!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I picked my vert in September of 2007 and have driven with my top up, maybe 5 times. Damn rain. :down:

Visibility sucks, the exhaust drones rather than roars and I have to turn the radio down or it hurts my ears.

I would agree that if you want a vette for a daily driver a coup is the better choice.

I use my vette as a recreational vehicle. I drive it with the AC full on my feet in the summer. In the winter it either sits or I put the blower to the floor and turn on the butt heater.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
When I had my Vert and now when I take my top off in winter. I like to roll the windows up and blast the heater.

In the Texas I would suggest finding a hat that your are comfortable driving in and stays on while driving. The other thing I do when I take my top off in summer is blast my air-condo at my feet.

:cheers:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Had an '03 Spiral Gray Vert... Now a '10 Cyber GS Vert.

I'm a fair-weather-top-down-guy.

Between 70-80 degrees. I don't mind the sun, if it's not real HOT!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
For some reason, people think that you can't run the heat or air when the top is down. Not so. Top down and too hot? Turn on the air, point it at your chest and enjoy. Top down and too cold? Turn on the heat. During the annual Christmas Postcard run through NYC we go top down. The heat is so strong you can't run it on high or you'll roast.

:cheers:

·
Registered
20 Posts
With the black interiors our two verts have (09 gt1 and 06 350z) when the temp gets above 100...its time to put the top up. I drove the Z to work the other morning when the temp gauge was showing 47. Summer, turn on the air. Winter...heater and heated seats sure extends the season.

You can even drive through light showers with the top down on a corvette...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I drove my vette a few times with the top down, but I always just preferred to have it up. Pretty much why I knew when I bought my GS I would do a coupe. Best decision I ever made and with the targa out, feels just like the convertible. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts