Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up an 02 C5 to keep my C3 company. I seem to be having a fuel sending unit issue. How difficult isi it to drop the tank in the C5? No big deal in the C3, I've had it out a few times. Thanks, Art

·
Registered
582 Posts
You dont need to drop the tank on the Vette. The pump and sending unit are one piece and accessible in each wheel well. You need to figure out which one is causing the problems (identifiable through computer codes) the Right hand tank pump has a screen that needs to be folded in a specific manner during reinstall. Make sure you know what it is before you start.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I will find out which one is the culprit and coorect the problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Art

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I will find out which one is the culprit and coorect the problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Art
Try switching to a better brand of gas.

There's a thread on here about that problem also, do a search.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try switching to a better brand of gas.

There's a thread on here about that problem also, do a search.
I'm on my second tank with the Techron Plus mantioned on another forum. It's working right now, but I don't know for how long.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If its an intermittent issue when the tank is about 3/4 to full its a gas issue. Change gas and put techron in before you spend the $300+ on a fuel pump

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had to have mine replaced. I keep it from happening again by using techron or seafoam every other tank.

-That's what I was told to do here about a year ago and it seems to be working.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If its an intermittent issue when the tank is about 3/4 to full its a gas issue. Change gas and put techron in before you spend the $300+ on a fuel pump
I'm using Chevron gas and I'm going to fill up the third time since I've had the car (three weeks) with Techron Plus. We'll see what happens. Art

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm using Chevron gas and I'm going to fill up the third time since I've had the car (three weeks) with Techron Plus. We'll see what happens. Art

If you have only owned the car three weeks, then yes try the techron trick. I found mine only acts up in the first quarter of the tank, so I live with it. I dont see the point in spending ove $300 to change the pump/sending unit for a part that fails only every once in a while and risks failing in the future again for the same thing.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I had to have mine replaced. I keep it from happening again by using techron or seafoam every other tank.

-That's what I was told to do here about a year ago and it seems to be working.
TechronPlus additive definitely works. However, Seafoam does not contain anything in it to address this issue. Recently, I have found that the Gumout Fuel System Cleaner in the clear, yellow bottle also works and works a lot faster. Add to that, it is a lot cheaper than TechronPLUS. If you choose to use TechronPLUS, you have to use the one with the PLUS additive as it is the only version of Techron that addresses this issue.

To the OP, you should also check out this thread as it directly addresses this issue. Search is your friend. ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you have only owned the car three weeks, then yes try the techron trick. I found mine only acts up in the first quarter of the tank, so I live with it. I dont see the point in spending ove $300 to change the pump/sending unit for a part that fails only every once in a while and risks failing in the future again for the same thing.
Yes true,

Mine Got bad enough that I couldn't read it at all. If the needle did float it would tell me bogus readings.
So I had it replaced with a C6 unit which has gold dipped tips to prevent sulphur caking to it. Now I just do preventative maintanance with tank additives.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Pour in a can of BG44k, not only will it clean the sending unit, it will clean the carbon from your engine, sensors, injectors. The GM dealer here uses it as part of their tune ups as well. Ive been using it for years. Way better than techron and sea-foam

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Pour in a can of BG44k, not only will it clean the sending unit, it will clean the carbon from your engine, sensors, injectors. The GM dealer here uses it as part of their tune ups as well. Ive been using it for years. Way better than techron and sea-foam
Much better than TechronPlus when used for what it is designed for. However, addressing this issue is not what it was designed to do (it does not contain the necessary additive). I thought the same thing until someone much more knowledgeable about this problem corrected me.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Much better than TechronPlus when used for what it is designed for. However, addressing this issue is not what it was designed to do (it does not contain the necessary additive). I thought the same thing until someone much more knowledgeable about this problem corrected me.
ok, im sure you would know.
Back when the c5 first came out, alot of fellas out here were suffering from the crazy gas guage readings, we all used BG44k, worked in every case. I love the stuff.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I tried some thinking it would work better than TechronPLUS. As much as it cost, one would think so but it didn't. I went back to TechronPLUS and used it all the way up until recently, which is when I found the Gumout product by accident.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My fuel gauge quit working months ago. I tried TechronPlus and Gum out also seafoam at every gas fill up. All of them did nothing for me. Last weekend I was adjusting my parking brake and just reached over and unpluged the sending unit banged on the sending unit alittle and repluged it in. I put everything back together and went for a quick ride and wouldn't you know my gas gauge was working!! 200 miles later it still is. Not sure if I had a loose connection or what but man it feels great to see the gauge working and no check gauges light. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the same problem with mine going to empty after getting bad gas I guess. Next time I refilled with chevron and gauge is working fine.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I'm on my third tank of Chevron premium and also a bottle of Techron plus in each tank and when full the gauge reads about 7/8. When it gets to just over 3/4 it drops to empty. After it gets to just over 1/2, it starts working again. Guess it's time to spend some money. Art

1 - 20 of 21 Posts