Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not getting much support putting a 383 in my vette so I was wondering what everyone else thinks.

And as for those who think i should put the original 190 hp motor in there :finger:

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
go for it :)

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
Shouldn't be hard. We're behind you all the way

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking a 350 stroked (heh), reconditioned crank, forged pistons, 2.02 cast iron heads, performer rpm intake, holley double pump 750, HEI with accel supercoil, plain rockers and regular flat lifters. Still thinking about the cam.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
If by support you mean fianancial (sp) then it's a bad idea.
If you are looking for moral support then I'm behind it all the way sounds like a great idea.:laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
raidmagic said:
If by support you mean fianancial (sp) then it's a bad idea.
If you are looking for moral support then I'm behind it all the way sounds like a great idea.:laughing:
:agree:

More cubes is a good idea. No replacement for displacement, right?

Building a reliable 383 that can run on cheap gas.... that's a winner.

Here is some info on stroker motors....

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1835

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cash is there, but my dad thinks everything I do is wrong and my vette club thinks i should get the el cheapo assembled crate engine with the warranty and low hp. something about a weak drivetrain.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Jlreyna said:
450 hp at the fly

If you want 450 streetable HP under the hood, then I recommend steering clear of iron heads. Aluminum will allow you to run a higher compression ratio without detonation. Look for a cam with at least 234 degrees of duration at .050 valve lift in order to make the kind of power you want. with this much duration you can run a compression ratio as high as 10.2:1. the long duration of the cam will "bleed off" low RPM cylinder pressure, preventing detonation. Of course, your manifold vacuum will decrease, and your idle will get choppier.

My best advice to you is to build a zero deck 383 short block with flat top pistons, then top it off with the 64cc Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and .028" head gaskets. That will get you right about 10:1 compression. Use the Performer RPM cam, the RPM air gap manifold and a 750 CFM carb. I did this exact engine combo and put it in a buddy's pickup and it turned 392 RWHP at 6200 RPM and 406 RWTQ at 3600 RPM. It ran all day on 91 octane pump gas without detonating or overheating. The only concern is that in a Corvette the RPM air gap manifold will require more clearance than the stock hood allows. Also, this engine will likely cause premature failure in a stock TH350 automatic. Use a TH400 or a four speed.

Another option is to build a 377 (400 block and pistons with a 350 crank and rods) These engines can safely rev past 8 grand with 10:1 CR. Very fun engines to have in a Corvette, but only if you have a four speed and 4.10 or lower gears.

·
Registered
745 Posts
youll love the 383 go for it,ive built several combinations of them over the years.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Jlreyna said:
my vette club thinks i should get the el cheapo assembled crate engine with the warranty and low hp. something about a weak drivetrain. [/B]

That is the first problem with clubs don't be different. Make sure whatever your choice is that your happy with it your the one who has to drive it. You already have an underpowdered car why change engines if your not upgrading? If it were my I'm putting in the bigger motor.
Don't worry once it's running and you give dad a ride he'll like it:D
Just ask my dad how many times I left him shaking his head.:laughing:

·
Registered
746 Posts
moore_rb why do aluminum heads make more power then cast iron? You need to run one point higher compression with aluminum heads to make up for the lost power due to aluminums ability to carry away heat. Heat is good, you want to retain it in the combustion chamber.
The only advantages aluminum has over cast iron is weight and repairability. Break a aluminum head and it can be rewelded.
Head for head cast iron makes more power.
I also would not put a stock 190 HP engine back in. I would go with a .030 over 400 or 406 cubic inches. Alot of guys go the 383 route but why not go all the way to 406?
I am a big block fan because of the incredible torque they have but they cost alot more to build and regardless of the horsepower some day it begins to feel normal.
Now go blown and that never gets boring. I have driven lots of really healthy big blocks and after a time they begine to feel slow but after drivng my 8-71 blown bigblock for 3 years now it still puts a smile on my face everytime I take it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts