Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my interior gutted, all vacuumed out, wiped down with Prep Sol and I am going to use the cleaner detergent that is provided with the Fatmat kit.
My question is: are there any tricks that make fitment of this stuff any easier? I want it to come out as close to perfect as possible but, with all of the curves and dips in the floor, I was wondering what the best method would be to fit the pieces in the car.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With no replies I was left to fend for myself. I am done with the rear cargo area (what a pain in the a$$ that was) and am half way done with the front areas.
Basically what I did to make this as painless as possible as to use my eye to make my cuts for the cargo section. Without getting out of control, I did my very best to keep the joints very tight without over lapping sheets. When I was done with an area I taped the seams with foil tape.
For the front area I am using the same methods but, in some areas I have employed the use of poster board to make templates so I can make my adjustments before cutting the Fatmat. This made fitment into some of the curved areas easier and more accurate.

I hope to be done within a few days and look forward to installing my new carpet.

For anyone thinking about taking on this project be sure to take your time, be patient and if you feel yourself losing your patience; step away from the project. You have done too much work getting to this point to rush it now.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
pretty obvious tip, but it worked well on my other car. not sure if fat mat is the same as dynamat, but if it has waxpaper type stuff in the bottom to keep it sticky, then fit the curvy parts with it still on, make all the holes and cuts and try to take it out without mis shaping it and peel off the backing

·
Registered
376 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of my fatmat install. I followed with a layer of felt. Either Twin Turbo or Norval told me about that trick. It worked great. I can hear myself think again.
Bee Jay

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:cheers: Before you cover it up how about a few photos?
I'll try to take a few pictures of the finished product before I install the new carpet.

Bee Jay: was the felt installed in addition to the jute padding that goes with the carpet? What is the purpose of the felt?

·
Registered
376 Posts
The jute is gone. The felt is the stuff stereo intsallers use to line the outside of woofer boxes, usually black or gray. I found some in tan. It's supposed to help with sound suppression. My exhaust is loud.
Bee Jay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fatmat -vs- Dynamat

I'm also in the process of doing my interior, Of the two which does a better job of heat\sound insulation?

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I'll be removing my "temporary" sound deadening material and getting some dnamat/fatmat and redoing the entire interior, including doors, ceiling... you name it.

Thanks for the photos guys.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can someone tell me how to upload Jpeg files to a thread? I'd like to post completed Fatmat installation pictures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts