1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week a friend asked me ...
"Why the $20K MSRP difference between U.S. and
Canadian prices on a new Vette?"
Good question I thought, so I e-mailed GM of Canada to ask that very question. Well so far no response, and I'm not holding my breath either:laughing: any body have any insight on this? just curious....:huh:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm curious to that as well. Certainly not the dollar difference anymore. Every vehicle is WAY more affordable down there right now it seems.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Buy one here put the foam in the front bumper and save yourself 18 of the 20 thousand. Yea I agree with you doesn't make much sense.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm curious to that as well. Certainly not the dollar difference anymore. Every vehicle is WAY more affordable down there right now it seems.
Hi muddpile; I know that you can walk into any chevy dealer and get a discounted price on a "in stock" Vette.
But I'm talking about one you would order. In my case I'll probably order thru' one of DC's supporting dealer's , and pick-up at the Museum! Only way to go, :thumbsup:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buy one here put the foam in the front bumper and save yourself 18 of the 20 thousand. Yea I agree with you doesn't make much sense.
Hi bairman; :agree: with you, but what really erks me
no end, is no reply from GM Canada, I guess if that's how they treat potential customers. well, not me... I'll order elsewhere (U.S.) :thumbsup:
GM Canada...:smack :nuts:

·
DC Crew
9,475 Posts
Hi muddpile; I know that you can walk into any chevy dealer and get a discounted price on a "in stock" Vette.
But I'm talking about one you would order. In my case I'll probably order thru' one of DC's supporting dealer's , and pick-up at the Museum! Only way to go, :thumbsup:
Gumby, Museum Delivery is for US buyers only. Thats what I was told a couple years ago when I inquired.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I feel your pain. but its not just cars. E V E R Y T H I N G is cheaper in the US, and usually a LOT cheaper.

They can't use the dollar excuse anymore, and our country's population is not THAT small that they can legitimately use the excuse of smaller quantities costing more.

What really sucks is when things that are MADE IN CANADA cost MORE here than in the USA!! (my last car, 2000 Trans Am that was made in Qeubec STILL cost me thousands more here than it would in the US!:crazy: )

I love Canada, but it DOES suck to be paying SOO much more for the same thing. I buy almost everything from the US on the internet nowadays. Even with the shipping costs, its still usually cheaper.

Good luck with your response from GM, but I suspect they won't even respond.
Its sad.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I've rebuilt 2 vehicles using parts companies from the US, and have a third one on the way. It's just THAT much cheaper.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I bought my C6 from the U.S......no complaints so far...:cheers:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel your pain. but its not just cars. E V E R Y T H I N G is cheaper in the US, and usually a LOT cheaper.

They can't use the dollar excuse anymore, and our country's population is not THAT small that they can legitimately use the excuse of smaller quantities costing more.

What really sucks is when things that are MADE IN CANADA cost MORE here than in the USA!! (my last car, 2000 Trans Am that was made in Qeubec STILL cost me thousands more here than it would in the US!:crazy: )

I love Canada, but it DOES suck to be paying SOO much more for the same thing. I buy almost everything from the US on the internet nowadays. Even with the shipping costs, its still usually cheaper.

Good luck with your response from GM, but I suspect they won't even respond.
Its sad.
Hi Corrado, I just figure GM doesn't care to respond, but it's a question that, although you could talk all you want about it here, I wanted to hear the answer from the source itself.
In closing, I think something is Fishy and :lookinup: they are hiding something they don't want us to know???

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've rebuilt 2 vehicles using parts companies from the US, and have a third one on the way. It's just THAT much cheaper.
:agree: Same here, but the way things are going in canada, soon car parts may all come from Mexico.:laughing: i work in the auto parts industry now, but lost my former job due to a plant closure.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I bought the pieces from GM,local dealer didn't really like the idea(was stalling) so I got them from a dealer in Mass....installed them at a local bodyshop because my local dealer "didn't have time"...all went well....:cheers:
P.S....if you need the required parts let me know.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The difference in price was always based on the difference of the value of the dollar (give or take). My guess is they just got greedy and kept the prices the same when the currencies equalized.

Canadian Whiskey was always way cheaper in the US, as the taxes were so high in Canada.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought the pieces from GM,local dealer didn't really like the idea(was stalling) so I got them from a dealer in Mass....installed them at a local bodyshop because my local dealer "didn't have time"...all went well....:cheers:
P.S....if you need the required parts let me know.
OK thanks for the info, 92lt1:thumbsup:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The difference in price was always based on the difference of the value of the dollar (give or take). My guess is they just got greedy and kept the prices the same when the currencies equalized.

Canadian Whiskey was always way cheaper in the US, as the taxes were so high in Canada.
Due, in part to the high cost of our health care system
:smack

·
Registered
57 Posts
...I buy almost everything from the US on the internet nowadays....quote]

Me too. I got a post-office box at a UPS store in NY state a few months back. Shipping within the US is really cheap compared to what we're used to. The great thing about it is that they don't care that nothing I get shipped there will fit in the box, and they don't care when I pick it up. Stuff could sit there for weeks or months.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts