Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Would you consider using E85 in your Vette?

• I'd be willing to try it.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No way, too risky!

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Interesting idea....

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I should punch you in the face for suggesting such a thing.

Votes: 7 41.2%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poll: With the sky rocketing gas prices (check local listings), has anyone considered putting E85 in their Vette?

Questions: If you tried it, would it cause a problem with the injectors in a late model Vette? How about the carberator in a early model Vette? If it wouldn't work now, what would it take to make it work?

·
Certified Stalker
4,077 Posts
It wouldn't work, here's why:

E85 burns at a very different air:fuel ratio than gasoline. If burned 14:1, the engine will run horridly lean. E85 requires about 9:1 or 10:1 to burn properly. Also, FlexFuel vehicles have sensors that determine the amount of alcohol in the fuel, adjusting the amount of fuel being injected accordingly. Lastly, bare magnesium, aluminum and rubber in the fuel system are quickly broken down by fuels high in ethanol content.

What would it take to make it work? An engine designed to run on E85.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
It wouldn't take much to convert it. Fuel pump, perhaps the fuel lines, injectors, and a tune.

The E85 does decrease fuel mileage, however it increases power. If the country put the infrastructure in place and GM made the conversion cost reasonable I would be okay with it. I think it is the best solution to allow us to keep using our piston engines. Or course this is provided E85 can be produced and sold at a lower cost than gasoline.

Most of the problem is the ethanol produced by corn uses as much energy to produce as product it produces. Brazil has successfully used sugar cane to produce ethanol that produces much more energy than it uses to produce. Brazil is now completely independent of foreign oil. On the positive side I understand that algae can be used to produce ethanol even more efficiently than using sugar cane. And algae can be produced very easily.

The next decade should be interesting.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,824 Posts
Down here, we get our corn from a jar, not a gas pump :laughing:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wouldn't try it unless the Corvette was designed to run on E85. (I wouldn't be surprised to see this capability added in the next couple of years). But without the special fuel lines, sensors, etc. to determine that E85 is in the system, I don't think it's a good idea.

E85 is so hard to find anyway, I think there are less than 5 stations in PA that sell it. My dad's 2007 Suburban can use it, but he's never been near the place that sells it. For a guy who uses aviation fuel in his off road drag car, he'd probably prefer the extra horsepower that E85 can produce at the expense of a few mpg.

·
Registered
628 Posts
its possible

Remember all the cars in the ALMS run on 10% ethanol.

Ethanol has a higher octane rating and burns at a lower temperature.

The konigsegg CCX runs on it.

I hope the new vettes have them even if I do'nt use it, if it was for my current 98 I'd use it. :partyon: :cheers:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Remember all the cars in the ALMS run on 10% ethanol.

Ethanol has a higher octane rating and burns at a lower temperature.

The konigsegg CCX runs on it.

I hope the new vettes have them even if I do'nt use it, if it was for my current 98 I'd use it. :partyon: :cheers:
I'm pretty sure that almost all modern cars can run E10 without a problem. At least, I hope so, since the gas pumps in my area all say, "contains 10% ethanol."

The problem with ethanol is that it's a solvent, so it can corrode fuel lines, etc. if they are not designed to be used with E85. The engine computer probably cannot take advantage of the extra octane/power in E85 if they are not designed to either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts