Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad bought a tank full of E85 fuel for his 2007 Yukon, only to find out that his Yukon is not compatible with E85. Really long story short, he had the dealer drain the tank and flush out the fuel system. I went to the dealer to have them pump it into my Tahoe which is E85 compatible. I think the Tahoe runs better with the E85 than on regular gasoline.

Anybody else run E85 in their vehicles?

·
Certified Stalker
4,077 Posts
question for you matchframe: Does your flexfuel truck have a yellow gas cap?

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
question for you matchframe: Does your flexfuel truck have a yellow gas cap?
No, it has the regular black cap. It does have a sticker on the inside of the fuel door saying that E85 is OK to use. Also, you can tell by the VIN if the vehicle is E85 Compatible. On the Yukons and Tahoes, it is the 8th digit that designates flexfuel. In my case the 8th digit is the letter Z.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have now run a couple of tanks of E-85. Can't beat the price of $2.17 per gallon, but it does not get very good mileage using E-85. I normally get about 14 - 16 MPG around town and have gotten as high as 22 MPG on the highway.

With the E-85, I can only get about 11 - 13 MPG around town so I am thinking it about breaks even as far as dollar to the mile is concerned.

One good thing is that I think the Tahoe performs better with E-85. I mentioned this to a friend who told me that he thought that E-85 has a higher octane level than premium unleaded gasoline. Not sure about that, but the truck does run better!!

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
I've yet to try a tank of E-85 in the wife's car. Main reason being the nearest station to have it is about 15 mins away and we hardly ever travel to that city. I'm gonna have to make a special trip to see what her car does with it.

Oh BTW, hers has a yellow gas cap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts