Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally decided to ugrade the pipes on my 84. It's factory tubing front to back. The cat's been gutted and the casing is badly mangled. I will be replacing it with a piece of exhaust pipe. Also, I need new mufflers. The old ones have been welded up and patched a few times (One tip has been re-attached, crooked I might add.........) I was thinking maybe buying a set of muffler delete pipes from Ecklers or Mid America or wherever it was I saw them. Any better suggestions. I will be driving the car next summer, but usually with straight pipes and a stock motor, most vehicles aren't that loud. Is the Crossfire vette any different? I want it to bark with authority at full throttle, but keep the noise to a minimum at cruising speed. Any suggestions as to what I can do? As I said, it's all factory 2 1/4" still with no cat.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
muddpile said:
I have finally decided to ugrade the pipes on my 84. It's factory tubing front to back. The cat's been gutted and the casing is badly mangled. I will be replacing it with a piece of exhaust pipe. Also, I need new mufflers. The old ones have been welded up and patched a few times (One tip has been re-attached, crooked I might add.........) I was thinking maybe buying a set of muffler delete pipes from Ecklers or Mid America or wherever it was I saw them. Any better suggestions. I will be driving the car next summer, but usually with straight pipes and a stock motor, most vehicles aren't that loud. Is the Crossfire vette any different? I want it to bark with authority at full throttle, but keep the noise to a minimum at cruising speed. Any suggestions as to what I can do? As I said, it's all factory 2 1/4" still with no cat.
Do know anyway that owns an exhaust shop? They can bend pipe and replace your back-half with straight pipe, and weld on the tips of your choice... cheaper than Ecklers/Mad kit generally.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. That is a good plan. I don't know anyone with a muffler shop though. Maybe one of my bench racing buddies have a pipe bender. Do fromwhere the cat used to be back with 2.5" and get rid of mufflers all together. Some dual borla tips (always liked the looks of those square ones). And I should be set. Any idea where a guy could get 4 borla tips, or are they even available? The square ones with the little fns inside. They should look sharp. That wouldn't bark too terribly loud would it? All I'm concerned about is cruising speed. At wide open throttle I want people to know I'm coming :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, is there a trick to getting an old rusty muffler off? I have all the clamp nuts off and the rear bracket bolt out, but its stuck hardcore.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I want the same thing for my 85' vette with stock exhuast. I want quiet while cruising and I want to be heard when i open it up. does anyone know a good set of mufflers that i might be able to pick up for a couple hundred bucks ?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my mufflers off!!! They are way worse than I thought. The clamps were welded on and the mufflers themselves have been welded back together several times. Tips put on partially crooked, large rust holes formed in various places, etc. Now on to the straight pipes :) If I had a battery in in and some bent pieces of pipe to cap onto the ends to get the heat out from under the car I would have fired it up to hear it bark.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts