Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'92 LT1 6spd '77 4spd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this isn't posted incorrectly or in the wrong place- So just starting on my '77 resto-mod project. Some of the wiring near the fuse block has been hacked pretty bad, looks like mostly due to Q&D alarm & radio installs. The charging system
isn't working. The engine compartment is pretty ratty in general and the orig alternator was especially ratty looking. With the ign key OFF, there is around 12.8 volts at the alternator "Bat" stud and the 10/12 ga red wire in the 2 pin connector that connects to alt spade "2". The ground connection to the alt case is good. With the ign key ON, there is no voltage to the brown wire in the 2 wire connector ( which connects to alt terminal "1". ) Should there be? The voltage gauge appears to work. I had another alternator still new in the box which I swapped in but got the same result.

thanks & hope the holidays are shaping up nicely-

·
Registered
'92 LT1 6spd '77 4spd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK here is a follow-up question- I've had 4 or 5 of these things but can't remember if the "GEN" light on the right side of the console is supposed to come ON when the ignition key is turned to the ON position but before the engine is started- mine
doesn't.

thanks,
bill

·
Registered
'92 LT1 6spd '77 4spd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your bulb may be burnt out, causing the whole problem.

View attachment 103422
None of those 4 lights ever come on and I bet you are right but won't be able to pull the center gauge cluster till the
weekend. I have the same diagram and am thinking [like you] either the bulb is gone or there is a problem at the
connector.. Will let you know what it turns out to be & THANKS for replying!! Hope your new year is good!! Probably
won't take too much to improve on 2020-

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess it could be a blown fuse for the gauges also, it supplies seat belt light and park brake light also.

Happy New Year

·
Registered
'92 LT1 6spd '77 4spd
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup the fuse checks good. Although I'm kinda surprised considering the hack job that was perpetrated on the poor thing to install an alarm and different radio. Stuff hanging all over the place in front of the fuse block.

happy new year back at ya-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts