Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See my signature below for list of mods.
In addition, I recently installed (two days ago) new tires - 245/18 front, 305 35 18 rear - Toyo R888.

Driving down the highway, I slow for the light and line up along side the CBR that has been trying to entice me to a roll race for several miles. All the while, I refrained from the roll race because I knew I would win that (raced other bikes from a roll and have no problems) and I wanted him to go for it from the light.

Light goes green - I get a solid launch and pedal the car through first gear (WOT in first or second = wheel spin), we are side by side. 2nd gear, I squeeze the throttle too quickly and spin at 5000 rpm, he gains about one length. 3rd gear, I get all the power down and blow by the bike and gain a one length lead by the time I hit 90. 4th gear, game over - I pull "bus" lengths through 4th and the bike gives up as there is no chance of catching me ( I was at least 4 lengths ahead at an indicated 120). We slow to non-warp speeds and get side by side.

The motorcyclist, at least, was a gentleman - gave me the thumbs up in the face of his embarrasment while side by side. The guy behind us in a SRT 8 Challenger caught up, and laughed his ass off at the bike when he got alongside.

·
Registered
553 Posts
nice run... must have surprised the biker :cheers:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Not to take anything away from your impressive list of modifications to your car, but...

A cursory google search turns up a 1/4 mile time for a stock CBR1000RR to be roughly 10.25. If you were pulling him by "bus" lengths, then either your car runs 6's, or that guy didn't know how to ride that bike very well....

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Not to take anything away from your impressive list of modifications to your car, but...

A cursory google search turns up a 1/4 mile time for a stock CBR1000RR to be roughly 10.25. If you were pulling him by "bus" lengths, then either your car runs 6's, or that guy didn't know how to ride that bike very well....
:agree: My R1 would hit 120 in third and not even be on the shift light

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The "bus" was in quotes - as stated, 4 lengths at 120 mph (towards the top of my 4th gear due to 4.10 gears)

Not taking anything away from your ability to use a search engine but my car traps between 135 and 139 traction dependent. You do the math (easy low 10's with traction).

With regard to this particular run, I would think that he did not get his best launch and, as history has proven with the other bikes I have raced from a roll, I pull harder from a roll than they do. As such, he lost his "advantage" and was in trouble once we were rolling. He certainly seemed to know how to ride to me (WOT fast shifts) but, as I said, did not get the best launch.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:agree: My R1 would hit 120 in third and not even be on the shift light
My 4th gear, not his. I would have thought you guys would have figured that out (how would I know his speeds and chosen gears).

If you guys are skeptical, go to youtube and watch another ECS supercharged C6 with 100 less whp than me whoop up on some sport bikes.

I'll start cruising around with my camera mounted. I'll post video and let you guys comment........

·
Registered
846 Posts
Nice run! Forget the video. I would love to HEAR both engines at WOT. THAT's music!

·
Registered
889 Posts
The "bus" was in quotes - as stated, 4 lengths at 120 mph (towards the top of my 4th gear due to 4.10 gears)

Not taking anything away from your ability to use a search engine but my car traps between 135 and 139 traction dependent. You do the math (easy low 10's with traction).

With regard to this particular run, I would think that he did not get his best launch and, as history has proven with the other bikes I have raced from a roll, I pull harder from a roll than they do. As such, he lost his "advantage" and was in trouble once we were rolling. He certainly seemed to know how to ride to me (WOT fast shifts) but, as I said, did not get the best launch.
... like I said, not to take anything away from your mods. If you are going to get your feelings hurt by others feedback then maybe you shouldn't post your stories on forums.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... like I said, not to take anything away from your mods. If you are going to get your feelings hurt by others feedback then maybe you shouldn't post your stories on forums.
My feeling are far from hurt (I am argumentative by both nature and profession) but if you want to raise the BS flag, come out and say it. Don't be a puss and beat around the bush making insinuations. Please don't post feedback if your feeling are going to be hurt when the OP corrects you. Maybe, you should keep you unsubstantiated and factually incorrect thoughts to yourself.........

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Nice run. It seems like you do pretty good with liter bikes. Have you run and busas or 1400s? Just curious as to what you'd be able to do with those. From my memory I was thinking the Busas were 9 seconds bikes out the box, but could be wrong. What do you trap in the 1/8th?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I ran a busa on a very, very twisty road. I led and we couldn't lose each other, it was a lot of fun. He was very surprised at what a vette could do, and even more surprised when I didn't brake where he was expecting me to. To the OP, good run, someday I have to show you to these roads.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Great Kill Story:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing, I love when a street biker gets a little surprise from a Vette:partyon:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice run. It seems like you do pretty good with liter bikes. Have you run and busas or 1400s? Just curious as to what you'd be able to do with those. From my memory I was thinking the Busas were 9 seconds bikes out the box, but could be wrong. What do you trap in the 1/8th?
I have done OK against liter bikes. They really don't like losing to cars, especially when they instigate the event.:rolleyes: Who makes a 1400? I am so far removed from the bike scene that I have to ask them what they have from time to time.

Busas are fast and, to my recollection, a really good rider can get hi 9's from a stock bike. My thought, again, is that the advantage a bike has over a car is at the launch. Once we are rolling, I am certain I can stick with and pull away from big bikes, especially if we start on a roll and get past 80 or 90 mph (gee, I sound like I own a Supra......).

I don't recall the exact 1/8 mph (I used a friend's Drift Box and my "Dynolicious" iPhone app at a "private" road). I will try this weekend with the new tires and let you know. I expect somewhere in the range of 100 +, nearing 107 or so.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran a busa on a very, very twisty road. I led and we couldn't lose each other, it was a lot of fun. He was very surprised at what a vette could do, and even more surprised when I didn't brake where he was expecting me to. To the OP, good run, someday I have to show you to these roads.
I am good next weekend as is my bro in law (730 hpr Evo). Now that I have my R-compound rubber, I am looking forward to a twisty road..........

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice run! Forget the video. I would love to HEAR both engines at WOT. THAT's music!
It sounded good - bike vs car - but I thought the noise would attract unwanted attention. Thankfully, the whole event was less than 10 seconds so as loud as the broadcast was, the show was not aired for long.

See my next post and there is video where you can hear the sound (Me vs. Evo (not the 730 hpr evo) (although the cpu speakers don't do it justice). SC'd motor, headers, hi flow cats and Z06 mufflers makes for some noise at WOT

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This will give you the idea of engine sound.

Video of me vs modded Evo (not the 730 hpr Evo). I was playing with him at first: gave him head starts, rolled behind him at half throttle while he is at WOT, etc., until he flashed the cash. Then it was all business. Plus some rolling starts by me at 70 mph with video taken from his car.

Formula for video: Near 100 degree heat + timing getting pulled due to temperature + with passenger + passenger armed with iPhone 4 + exhausted from the prior night of drinking followed by gokarting in 100 degree heatl = good fun.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I have done OK against liter bikes. They really don't like losing to cars, especially when they instigate the event.:rolleyes: Who makes a 1400? I am so far removed from the bike scene that I have to ask them what they have from time to time.

Busas are fast and, to my recollection, a really good rider can get hi 9's from a stock bike. My thought, again, is that the advantage a bike has over a car is at the launch. Once we are rolling, I am certain I can stick with and pull away from big bikes, especially if we start on a roll and get past 80 or 90 mph (gee, I sound like I own a Supra......).

I don't recall the exact 1/8 mph (I used a friend's Drift Box and my "Dynolicious" iPhone app at a "private" road). I will try this weekend with the new tires and let you know. I expect somewhere in the range of 100 +, nearing 107 or so.
Kawasaki makes it. It's their ZX1400, 1.35L bike. It's pretty quick, giving the Busas runs for their money, lol.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kawasaki makes it. It's their ZX1400, 1.35L bike. It's pretty quick, giving the Busas runs for their money, lol.

I guess a really good rider would beat me in the 1/4 mile but not by as much as that really good rider would thinks he should beat me by.............

I would definitely like to roll race one. That would be a lot closer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would definitely like to roll race one. That would be a lot closer.
Low MPH rolls are one of the worst times to match up against a bike. Lets say both vehicles are at their max hp in their rev range doing 30mph. You car weights 3380 with a 200lb driver, with 715whp. That's a 4.72 w/p ratio. The bike weighs 600lbs with rider, with 150whp. That's a 4.02 w/p ratio. Assuming same gearing, you will get pulled on. You have the advantage off the line, sport bikes have crap for torque below 6k, and they usually hit max power around 10-13k. Most riders can't launch properly either. It's the same reasoning ricers use. When is the last time some guy in a civic asked to race you from a dig? Usually they ask from a 40mph or so roll because they have no power otherwise.

I've raced tons of cars on my bike which is a lowly R6, and most of them (the higher TQ ones) beat me off the line, even when I'm launching at my best. I usually pull on them through second and third gear, but get caught in the later gears. If you can hang with a bike through their second gear, you will win.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Low MPH rolls are one of the worst times to match up against a bike. Lets say both vehicles are at their max hp in their rev range doing 30mph. You car weights 3380 with a 200lb driver, with 715whp. That's a 4.72 w/p ratio. The bike weighs 600lbs with rider, with 150whp. That's a 4.02 w/p ratio. Assuming same gearing, you will get pulled on. You have the advantage off the line, sport bikes have crap for torque below 6k, and they usually hit max power around 10-13k. Most riders can't launch properly either. It's the same reasoning ricers use. When is the last time some guy in a civic asked to race you from a dig? Usually they ask from a 40mph or so roll because they have no power otherwise.

I've raced tons of cars on my bike which is a lowly R6, and most of them (the higher TQ ones) beat me off the line, even when I'm launching at my best. I usually pull on them through second and third gear, but get caught in the later gears. If you can hang with a bike through their second gear, you will win.
I have roll raced a bunch of liter bikes and have yet to lose. I think the combination of 715 whp and 4.10s is fairly lethal.

If my memory serves me correctly, a liter bike with a good rider cuts a better 60 foot time than a C6 with tires that are not drag radials. I would rather roll race a bike and take almost anything else from a dig (but I hate Evos, STi's and AWD 911 Turbos - unfair advantage)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts