Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for anyone... :D

I'm not the smallest guy in the world (6'-1" at 280#) so it bothers me that my excess body mass might dramatically affect the performance of my Corvette, particularly acceleration. Now, I'm very familiar with the laws of physics and the formulae one would use to calculate the change of acceleration due to a difference in body mass, etc, etc... :thumbsup:

What I'm looking for is anyone that has had the experience of being a bit on the portly side, noting the acceleration, then loosing a significant amount of mass, and noting a big difference in the acceleration at that point. :huh:

I guess I could turn this into a little experiment... it would take bowling balls and someone skinny enough to sit with the extra mass on his lap while driving like heck down a 1/4-mile track... :surprised

·
Registered
759 Posts
i love beer :D

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
i love beer :D
you must to have made a post like that.

Basicly 100 pounds is equal to about .1 second in the 1/4 mile, the same can be gained from adding 10hp. id be careful sending some one down a drag strip with bowling balls in their lap, accelerate too hard and those will be the only balls between their legs.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, SinisterC6... so, if I add about 30hp then I essentially nullify the effect my extra baggage would have on the acceleration in the 1/4 mile...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Interesting, SinisterC6... so, if I add about 30hp then I essentially nullify the effect my extra baggage would have on the acceleration in the 1/4 mile...
Might be, but in the event you suddenly decide you need to stop or swerve, that 100 lbs or 30 hp are doing you absolutely no good. Outside of rare cases, lighter is always better.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, in other words... LOOSE THE WEIGHT, FAT A$$! Gotcha! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's not that big a deal. considering the car your driving weighs 3.5k pounds, the 280 you add to it isnt going to effect it that much, in a striaghtline or through the twisties.

However if you are really self concouis about it, you can either personally drop some weight, or take some out of the car.

but really I wouldn't worry about it affecting performance much at all unless you break the 400 pound mark. and even then, it's afftecting your personal preformance FAR more than the cars.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't worry, nothing about this upsets me. In fact, I take a very flippant and humorous approach to my weight. :laughing: This is as much as I've ever weighed in my life and the latest 20# has come over the last eight months due to the traveling I do for my job. I was just wondering if there were some other big, stout gentlemen like me out there who saw any performance losses. Personally, I've not seen any in my 'vette... it can still easily plaster me against the door in the twisties! :devil:

FAT GUYS LOVE VETTES, TOO!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
326 Posts
It's not that big a deal. considering the car your driving weighs 3.5k pounds, the 280 you add to it isnt going to effect it that much, in a striaghtline or through the twisties.

However if you are really self concouis about it, you can either personally drop some weight, or take some out of the car.

but really I wouldn't worry about it affecting performance much at all unless you break the 400 pound mark. and even then, it's afftecting your personal preformance FAR more than the cars.
:agree:
Don't want to sound condesending or insulting here, but my philosophy is if you are going to drive a "muscle car" then you need to look the part ;) not just for the sake of a better 1/4 mile time in the car but for the good health to enjoy that fine automobile for years to come.:cheers:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well spoken, ChemDawg99... well spoken! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Im 6-2, 225, had a buddy who is 6-0, 350 ride with me, there was a noticable change in acceleration. kinda like empty gas tank vs full gas tank, but a little more. I think we exceeded the payload of the car :smack

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
:agree:
Don't want to sound condesending or insulting here, but my philosophy is if you are going to drive a "muscle car" then you need to look the part ;) not just for the sake of a better 1/4 mile time in the car but for the good health to enjoy that fine automobile for years to come.:cheers:

well that sucks, i think anyone can drive any car they want, that would be like someone devaluing your car for being an auto or for its color or something. just dumb, btw i was 210 lbs and 6ft when i got my camaro, im not there anymore but yea sorry that comment just really bothered me.

to the topic- 280 is nothing really, if you are at 1/2 tank or less you should close to what a 200 pounder is at a full tank + some luggage. also you still weigh less than a 200 pounder with a passanger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
oh wow, i totally forgot about passengers

yeah dude, just imagine youve got me some other lightweight sitting in the passengers seat (6' 2" 160 pounds).

same difference

·
Registered
759 Posts
hmmm look the part huh
well my hair is down to my ass
i guess i dont look right either,
at least not like the other vette
people at the local shows.
well VW bus here i come
anyone know where i can get some sunflower
stickers :huh:

·
Registered
939 Posts
:rolling: I don't have anything terribly enlightening to say other than this thread is cracking me up.

Here's my humble opinion, whether you weigh 155 lbs like me, or 350 lbs, it doesn't matter... you're still rolling in a freakin' Corvette!!! For the few times you actually go to a track and test 1/4 mile times, yeah, it might hinder you, but the other 99% of the time you're driving, you feel like king of the road!!!

So, Portly or Skinny... drive that Vette with pride brotha!:partyon:

·
Registered
759 Posts
no! they're all gonna laugh at you!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Gee, I didn't know my post would engender that type of response. Of course a person can drive whatever car they wish. Fat, skinny, muscular, whatever. I was just trying to shed light on a bigger picture. I am in the Army and studying to become a Fitness Trainer when I retire (I can retire next year, but I think I will stick around for a year or two after 20) and I just couldn't help but see the "stated problem" as something much larger than a 1/4 mile time in a Corvette. I subscribe to Jack LaLane's philosophy of "living healthy and adding years to life and life to your years". If anyone viewed my post as being in poor taste, then please accept my sincere apology as it was not intended to be insulting.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, guys, I started this thread as a tongue-in-cheek, let's see-what-people-say thread... so, I thought everybody's comments were cool.

However, I think the comment about the added mass of the passenger riding with an average-mass guy being equal, if not more, than me by myself, was very thought provoking. I had not thought of that aspect... I think that brings me to the conclusion that, by myself, my above-average mass makes very little difference.

Regardless, CORVETTE'S RULE!!! And I'll keep on driving them!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts