Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on the car today and I accidentally disconnected the wire going to the EGR temp switch on the EGR pipe.

The plug is down under the distributor and I tried for 90 min to reach it and reconnect it but can't. Please someone tell me its possible to reconnect or that I don't need it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I dropped the plug to mine one time, and fished it out after a minute or two, but given mine isn't in the same body as yours. If you haven't tried it, removing the distributor cover may help. If you have a telescoping mirror it will help you see it, if not they are fairly cheap at most hardware/auto parts stores.

If I remember correctly, the wire is attached to a bracket on the driver cyl. head. I may have had an easier time with it since my hands and arms are thin.
I hope this is useful/ inspiring!

Good luck,
~wd-40:buhbye:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see it fine and I can even get one hand in there and hold it with 2 fingers, but i can't image how i could get the other end of the plug in there and connected.

I am going to try to loop a piece of string around it to hold it then try to push the plug on.

(man, that sounds very strange out of context)

Anyone know if its OK to drive with it disconnected?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The loop of string worked well but now I have an error code 32: EGR Failure.

Guess I'll check the EGR valve and vacuum hoses.

Any other thoughts?

I can see it fine and I can even get one hand in there and hold it with 2 fingers, but i can't image how i could get the other end of the plug in there and connected.

I am going to try to loop a piece of string around it to hold it then try to push the plug on.

(man, that sounds very strange out of context)

Anyone know if its OK to drive with it disconnected?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Driving without it is safe to do, but will throw trouble code (as you no doubt have found). You may not have the plug connected well.
It has to be turned the correct direction to plug in, if this makes sense. The clip on one plug must align with the lock on the other. Please take no offense if you knew this.
Otherwise sometimes the silicone seal makes this difficult and applying just a touch of grease or petroleum jelly makes this easier.

If it worked with no code before the plug was messed with, and nothing else has been handled it is most likely the plug.

~wd-40:buhbye:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ya, i saw the plug in keyed, and I just double checked and it is connected securely.

I notice that the wire unscrews from the top of the switch, so I plan to check the opening and make sure it is clean. I did find a replacement and have it on order just in case. I hear they are hard to come by and almost as hard to remove.

Checked codes yesterday and the 32 was gone, but came back today as soon as I started it up (did not drive it or start it between).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I was still getting the 32 code, but the light only seems to some on every third for forth start.

I threaded the wire into the EGR Temp sensor all the way and the light SES light stays on all the time. I then backed it out 3-4 turns and the light went out. I cleared the codes and have run it several days with out a light or code (checked with TunerPro RT).

I also replaced the vacuum hoses to the EGR solenoid as they disintegrated as I tried to wiggle them free. My plan was to replace the solenoid, but I decided to hold off.

Well, that's my update. Here's to being error code free! :partyon:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI: Corvette Central is now selling the EGR temp switch. Got mine in the mail yesterday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts