Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey , my 79 i bought last week doesnt have any smog equipment and i just ordered a pair of Edelbrock Elite Series tall profile valve covers. I heard the EGR valve gets in the way. If i remove the Valve and plate it will performance lessen? I always thought it would improve but i keep reading it might mess up how the car is running now, which is great! thanks!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
741 Posts
You say it has no smog equip? But it has the EGR? Anyway, I am not aware of any degredation of power or performance de-smogging your car, nor an I aware that it will enhace performance. Having said that, it seems the real criteria is state law and personal preference. In Florida, there are no vehicle emmissions testing for used cars, however you wont find a mechanic or muffler shop that would even consider removing cats or egr or any of that stuff. And if your like most, if it dont make it look better or go faster, you dont need it.

I'd ditch all that stuff, EGR, AIR, Cat, charcole cannister, etc. Keep the PCV valve though, and run it to the front port of the carb, and put a breather on the other side. It should run perfectly fine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right the PO took off hte smog pump and hoses but hte EGR is still there and its supposdely gonan interfere with the new covers so i was planning on removing it. yea i live down in miami . i dunt care bout any of that stuff lol:partyon: my Mustang GT is runnin without cats and i have no issues!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Then strip it man! Get an edlebrock intake w/o egr, and take out the charcole cannister and cap the vent line, etc etc etc...

Also, if your a DIY guy, Corvette America sells a bolt on ready to go dual exhast kit. Thats right, bolt on. It about $350, and all you do is remove your entire old system, Even the butterfly valve on the pass side, and bolt this in. Its true duals and looks perfect. It comes with hangers, clamps, mufflers, and o-rings for attaching to the manifolds. the kit even compensates for the removed butterfly valve, its great... and NO WELDING!
A good jack, a couple of jack stands and sone hand tools...

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I've seen plates that block the EGR ports. That being said, it's almost easier to just throw an aftermarket intake on without all the ports/passages and rock on..

:cheers:

·
Registered
60 Posts
EGRs don't hurt the performance on a regular street car....so its really a matter of choice

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Jotape,

let me know how it goes. I am in the process of adding headers and an intake to my 76'. Now that the emission laws in IL have changed I am planning on getting rid of all of my smog equip.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:nuts: hey stingin,

well i fabricated an aluminum plate to go over the port and the car ran great without it. so im guessin it doesnt matter. when i bought it, it didnt have smog pump or anything like that just the EGR valve left. i havent fired it up again becuz i decided to put new edelbrock pump, valve covers, and a new fan. I also painted the intake manifold because it was disgustin now it looks like new!

Ill let u kno how it goes tommrow when i finish her up and take her for a spin!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts