Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Egypt halted natural-gas exports through a pipeline feeding Israel and Jordan today after a fire at the facility, Egypt’s Oil Ministry said.

The state-run Middle East News Agency said the stoppage was to limit damage caused by an explosion carried out by “subversive elements,” while the Oil Ministry said a gas leak led to a fire. Official Egyptian television reported that the incident in El Arish in the northern Sinai desert was an act of “terror” carried out by “foreign hands.”

There were no casualties and the fire is under control, the Oil Ministry said in a statement. Flames and smoke billowed into the sky in the area of the pipeline, footage from the Al Arabiya network showed.

The incident adds tension as hundreds of thousands of protesters have been demonstrating in Cairo and other cities for more than 10 days, calling for the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak. He has warned that an early departure for him would leave Egypt, the first Arab country to sign a peace treaty with Israel in 1979, in chaos.

Israel’s Ministry of National Infrastructure said in a statement that it doesn’t foresee any interruptions to the country’s electricity supply. About 40 percent of gas consumed in Israel is imported from Egypt.

One-Week Stoppage

The incident occurred on a part of the natural-gas network before it divides to Jordan or Israel, Marwan Bqaeen, head of the natural-gas unit at the Jordanian Energy Ministry, said in a telephone interview. The stoppage will halt Egyptian gas exports to Jordan for about a week, Petra news agency reported, citing Ghaleb al-Maabira, general director of Jordan’s state electricity company.

Egypt has halted gas supplies “as a safety precaution,” and Jordan has “resorted to back-up fuel,” Bqaeen said. “We heard from the Egyptians that the flames were under control and will soon be put out. They will then carry out an assessment.”

Egypt has natural-gas reserves of 77 trillion cubic feet and is the main producer of the hydrocarbon in the eastern Mediterranean, according to the U.S. Energy Department. The country exported 650 billion cubic feet of gas in 2009, 30 percent by either the Arab gas pipeline to Jordan, Syria and Lebanon, or to Israel through the El-Arish-Ashkelon line, according to the U.S. department’s figures.

Supplies to Israel

The line to Israel started in 2008 and can supply up to 7 billion cubic meters a year, according to Israel’s Department of Natural Infrastructure. Israel imported 60 billion cubic feet of gas in 2009, U.S. Energy Department data show.

Egypt supplies Israel with gas under a 15-year contract and is expected to eventually deliver almost 1 trillion cubic feet. Israel imports about 85 percent of its energy.

Israeli National Infrastructure Minister Uzi Landau said Feb. 1 that events in Egypt should heighten concern over the supply of natural gas to Israel, and the country should move quickly to develop its own gas sites.

Jordan, which imports almost all its energy needs, aims to increase imports of Egyptian gas for use in its power plants to 330 million cubic meters in 2011, from 240 million cubic meters last year, then Energy Minister Khalid Irani said in an interview on July 14.

Syria imported 679 million cubic meters from Egypt in 2010, making up about 8 percent of the country’s needs, according to government figures.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-05/egypt-gas-pipeline-feeding-israel-explodes-in-sinai-desert-arabiya-says.html

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable shut-down at this point. I'm sure Egypt doesn't want to lose the income. They will probably respond by being more proactive in protecting the pipeline.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is not quite the way I saw it...

Muslim Brotherhood ready to use Egyptian army to attack Israel

Mohammed Ghanem one of the Muslim Brotherhood leaders in Egypt called on his country to stop pumping gas to Israel and prepare the Egyptian army to wage war against Israel.In an interview on the Iranian television station al-Alam, Ghanem blamed Israel for supporting President Hosni Mubarak's regime but warned that neither the Egyptian police or army will be able to stop the Muslim Brotherhood.The Muslim Brotherhood is the largest opposition group in the country and criticized Mubarak in the latest parliamentary elections of rigging the votes. While they have not come out vocally in the recent wave of anti-government protests, many believe they are purposely maintain a low profile until the time is right to attempt to take over the government.
http://www.oyetimes.com/news/middle-east/9233-muslim-brotherhood-ready-to-use-egyptian-army-to-attack-israel

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
That would be fun to watch - in a sick sort of way. Israel last kicked Egypts ass in 1967. In 2011, it would be no contest. Israel has a much more potent military than Egypt, and they would love a justification for demonstrating that superiority.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that they are vastly superior... but on how many fronts does that superiority manifest ? The biggest difference in my eyes being Hamas a couple of hundred meters from the heart of Israel... ready to attack in a flash. They are a force to contend with. That is to say... they are no longer "rock throwers". The advancement in armaments of all factions -Syria, Egypt, Lebanon... even Iran, coupled with Egypt's control of Israel's power... may lend itself to a very different outcome. The linchpin would be our involvement. This administration has shown a propensity to point out Isreals policy flaws... and forgo swooning support as has been the practice of years gone by.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I agree that they are vastly superior... but on how many fronts does that superiority manifest ? The biggest difference in my eyes being Hamas a couple of hundred meters from the heart of Israel... ready to attack in a flash. They are a force to contend with. That is to say... they are no longer "rock throwers". The advancement in armaments of all factions -Syria, Egypt, Lebanon... even Iran, coupled with Egypt's control of Israel's power... may lend itself to a very different outcome. The linchpin would be our involvement.
I agree. The multi-front war would be difficult. The difference in this case from U.S wars is that Israel would not have to be pushed very far before they delivered a scorched earth response. For them it would be a matter of survival - world opinion would be way down the list. The U.S. has not had a threat to it's existence (yet), so we have not come close to the response we are capable of. Any attack on Israel from multiple players will be one bloody mess.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The nuke option ? -I don't see this a feasible option for them. It would be as much to their detriment as the entire regions... and the world. We all share that spot for our energy supplies. The last thing the world would allow... are nuke contaminated oil and gas fields.

Is Israel willing to say FU to the world ? Possibly... but doubtful, in my eyes.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
The nuke option ? -I don't see this a feasible option for them. It would be as much to their detriment as the entire regions... and the world. We all share that spot for our energy supplies. The last thing the world would allow... are nuke contaminated oil and gas fields.

Is Israel willing to say FU to the world ? Possibly... but doubtful, in my eyes.
Not really talking nuke, although that would be a last ditch possibility. I'm talking about the small geographic area of Lebanon and the Palestinian territories. If civilian deaths were determined to be necessary to continue existence of the Israeli state, it would not take long to pound those enemies into submission with conventional aerial attacks.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright... I agree. That, I expect them to do right off the bat. Scare in to submission.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Alright... I agree. That, I expect them to do right off the bat. Scare in to submission.
But if they do, they had better do it well enough to make the enemy afraid of a second round. If they just kick the ant bed, they will simply stir up the ants and be in worse shape than when they started.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Attacking Israel will only bring the West to the middle east in even greater numbers.

The ends betray the plan. The fact is, they just want to kill a few Jews. They know they will never win. Better to attack someone else than to work to improve your own lifestyle.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Attacking Israel will only bring the West to the middle east in even greater numbers.

The ends betray the plan. The fact is, they just want to kill a few Jews. They know they will never win. Better to attack someone else than to work to improve your own lifestyle.
I agree. Islamists don't operate off of logic. If they did, they would put their energy into improving their lives by building worthwhile things around them. But they are only interested in meting out centuries old hatred to their perceived enemies. If they used logic, they would know this will never improve their lot in life.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts

Four words about nuking the oil fields

Naturally Occuring Radioactive Material.

We already deal with NORM oi oil and adding a little man made shouldn't be too much of a problem to deal with

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
the organizer was a Google manager...

ouch....

That's gotta help Google's reputation as a cia front over there......:rolleyes:

Kinda like Blackberry.........:rolleyes:

now they will bomb michigan.....:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts