Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hedge fund heavyweight David Einhorn reportedly called for the ouster of Microsoft (MSFT: 24.74, +0.55, +2.27%) CEO Steve Ballmer, becoming the highest-profile investor to publicly demand a change at the top of the world’s largest software maker.

According to Reuters, Einhorn, who leads Greenlight Capital, said it’s time for Ballmer to step aside and “give someone else a chance.”

Greenlight owns about 9 million shares of Microsoft, representing 0.9% of the company’s outstanding stock.

The comments come just days after IBM (IBM: 166.57, -1.18, -0.70%) passed Microsoft in market cap for the first time in 15 years. While much of the tech world has soared, Microsoft’s stock has been stagnant and is worth only one-third of what it was at its height in December 1999.

Ballmer succeeded Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates in 2000 as CEO.

"His continued presence is the biggest overhang on Microsoft's stock," Einhorn said on Wednesday at the annual Ira Sohn Investment Research Conference in New York, according to Reuters.

Ballmer has also been criticized for the $8.5 billion he shelled out to acquire Skype earlier this month in what was Microsoft’s largest acquisition ever. Some analysts believe Microsoft overvalued

Skype and it appears the company could have been acquired for several billion dollars less.

Einhorn is considered one of the more influential hedge fund managers as he was one of the most vocal skeptics of Lehman Brothers before it crumbled in 2008. He held a short position on Lehman’s stock in 2007, meaning he bet it would lose value.

Shares of Microsoft jumped 0.95% to $24.42 ahead of the opening bell Thursday, putting them on pace to cut their 13% 2011 loss.

Separately, Einhorn has agreed to acquire less than 49% of the struggling New York Mets for about $200 million, ESPN reported.

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
I agree. Ballmer should go. If for any reason just to prove to investors that the company isn't asleep at the wheel. Silly purchases, initiatives... and a utter lack of innovation is the new Microsoft.

A new CEO would be the right first step. Microsoft has been very boring to me for a long time.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Microsoft is and has always been a Marketing company and has never been innovative.

For the most part Microsoft has purchased or otherwise aquired the intellectual knowledge almost all MS products are based on. From the the original DOS derived from CPM to today's offering of products there is little innovation but excellent Marketing of the products. A prime example is Excel clearly not the best spreadsheet offering in the early stages but clever marketing eliminated the competetion and established Excel as the dominant spreadsheet application. You can go right down the list and the story is pretty much the same.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
They are being pretty innovative on the gaming front. The world is in a technology lull. We have come so far so fast... that the biggest newest thing does not excite like it used to. Lets face facts... we are tired of spending on the newest greatest thing... only for "that thing" to become obsolete by the "next thing" weeks later.

If there are no new and exciting things... then there is no new exciting software that needs to be written.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are being pretty innovative on the gaming front. The world is in a technology lull. We have come so far so fast... that the biggest newest thing does not excite like it used to. Lets face facts... we are tired of spending on the newest greatest thing... only for "that thing" to become obsolete by the "next thing" weeks later.

If there are no new and exciting things... then there is no new exciting software that needs to be written.
Again, MS purchased the Konect Technology and is marketing innovations made by others.

I am not knocking MS they have brought many innovations to market at a level that the inventors could never have achieved.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Microsoft is and has always been a Marketing company and has never been innovative.

For the most part Microsoft has purchased or otherwise aquired the intellectual knowledge almost all MS products are based on. From the the original DOS derived from CPM to today's offering of products there is little innovation but excellent Marketing of the products. A prime example is Excel clearly not the best spreadsheet offering in the early stages but clever marketing eliminated the competetion and established Excel as the dominant spreadsheet application. You can go right down the list and the story is pretty much the same.
I agree. Microsoft is stuggling with two developments, one already here and one on the way. For 30 years, Microsoft profited from the fact that every advancement in computer speed made users long for a new computer. People were constantly upgrading to get a faster computer. Now, any computer is fast enough for most people's needs, so there is far less pressure to upgrade. The advancement that is on the way is the entirely new computer architecture where the OS is not present on the computer until it is turned on, and then it grabs the OS off of the internet. In the future, there will be far fewer copies of individual operating systems sold. I'm sure MS knows this and they are trying to latch on to the next big thing.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
I agree with most here.
I generally frown upon investors or outside interests dictating a copmany's actions, directions, or expected profits, but Microsoft has just been sad for the last 10 years.
If they keep sticking to OS's and apps, they are ****ed.

With the current trend in mobile computing, they are probably toast anyway.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yup, Microsoft is getting i-****ed out of the market slowly and steadily by their competition. If they don't do something to improve innovation and quality, they are headed downhill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts