Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have searched and want to know is it worth it to swap to a Taurus electric fan. I do not want to swap to a aluminum radiator or anything expensive so do not recommend that. I want first hand experience with the Taurus fan swap. I have been tracing the overheating problem or what I thought was. I found that the temp sender for my autometer sport comp was bad got a new one and it checks out with my i.r. thermometer. So when parked the temp still climbs past 210 should stay at 180 thats the thermostat. I have all seals in place along with the spoiler. So I have done some research with my current electric fan setup. I have the Hayden/Imperial 12 and 10 inch fans direct on the radiator.

The 12in is supposed to flow 675cfm and the 10 500. Is it worth it to upgrade to the taurus fan. I have a new stock radiator with all seals and spoiler in place. Or would it be best to make a shroud for these fans. Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Im going to do it. I just went out with some paper and the fans now are pulling but not great I could barley feel the air moving thought the radiator/ac condensor.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
... the fans now are pulling but not great I could barley feel the air moving thought the radiator/ac condensor.
Are you sure the radiator and condenser aren't just full of dead bugs and dirt? Maybe you have too much obstruction to get good airflow through there? :huh:

I did the Taurus fan a few years ago:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103420&highlight=taurus

Don't discount all aluminum radiators as being expensive. I swapped to a generic aluminum radiator a year or two before the Taurus fan conversion. Radiator cost me about $160.

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No blockage at all. Cleaned everything the other day thinking that might be it. Flow in the radiator is great too.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I highly recommend the Taurus fan swap.

I went a step above and installed a Focus fan, which is a dual set, and slightly harder to wire.

The single Taurus fan is more than enough for most people, and it's an easy installation that doesn't cost a lot.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just a comment, but because your thermostat is 180 degrees doesn't mean that your water temp should be a maximum of 180 degrees. While idling you should reach your highest temps. Even with electric fans your water temp should get higher than 180 while idling. I wouldn't set the electric fans to turn on any lower than 200 degrees. Water doesn't even boil until 212, and since it's under pressure it's even higher.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
how many cfm is the focus fan

I think I remember reading that both fans rate at above 4000 CFM.

I have one of the fans on constantly with an IGN triggered relay, and the other relay is triggered by a T-stat in my intake manifold, set to close the ground at 180 - 185.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Did you only have these two electric fans or do you still have a mechanical fan as well?
If you run just your current electric fan setup, your lack of CFM is probably your issue. 1150 CFM is a little on the low side. I think the sock clutch fan with the shroud is upwards of 3500 CFM. I have heard the rule of thumb is to have at least 3000 CFM to cool one of these cars. FWIW I run dual 11" fans that pull 4000 CFM. Upgrade to the taurus or focus fans :thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
In the middle of the Lincoln MK8 fan install myself. Fan is in, wiring harness is built and ready to be installed...just waiting on my modded alternator brackets(for cs144 upgrade) to come back from powedercoat so I can finish it up....couple pics...

***side note***

What's up DB? LONG time no post?...

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
***side note***

What's up DB? LONG time no post?...

Yeah it's been a long time man. Haven't seen you since I was still posting on CF, almost 2 years ago.

Been here for a few months and loving it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Btw, my little stubby 10" sub box and Focal sub that you built for me are still rocking along.:partyon: But my car has gone through major changes. I tried to PM you a couple times on CF before I figured out you had left. I figured you must have sold your vette and got out of them or something.

Glad you're posting here..... DC is much better with less BS....(so far....lol)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts