Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throw this one into our hat of spoiled outings. I started the car and took her out for a spin. All was going well. Came to a stop. I see smoke on my left side. First thought was exhaust. Arrived home and pulled into the driveway. I get out and see smoke coming from the driver side wheel well only. First thought was some kind of rotating friction, but when I smelled the smoke it smelled electrical. I looked under the back side of the car, but that didn't seem like it was originating from anything underneath. No smoke in cabin. No smoke in battery box, quite a bit of smoke wa coming from inside the upper wheel well. Smoke finally died down. Started car and the smoke came back. Smoke died down again after I shut the car off. Turned on just the ignition switch and stepped on brake. Smoke started up again. Cut it off and let car sit. It took a while but all of the smoke finally stopped. I guess I will pull up carpet in back on driver side and look there for evidence. Wire on wire or wire on metal frame maybe ? I will also trace under chassis to see If anything is touching. Am I on the right track in you guys opinion? This is frustrating but I refuse to pay for someone to do this. I'm thinking since the smoke is coming from the wheel well it's gotta be pretty obvious once I get to tracing it down. Anything you guys can add would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shipy. I have been meaning to figure out how to post pictures because I know that is very helpful. I am gonna try to post some.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
You never specified so I'm assuming this is all from the driver's rear wheel well?

Lucky for you the rear light harness is easy to get to. If the harness from the cabin didn't produce the smoke, it's got to be from the cabin back...which also means that a donor harness would be easy to get and splice in if there is a short.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How's it going D_B? Yep it is the driver side wheel well. No smoke in the cabin. To say there was so much smoke coming from the wheel well and none in the cabin kinda stumped me. I looked under the car where the tail lights and antenna were and no smoke was coming from there. No smoke from the obviously exposed wires or battery box. Is the light harness somewhere kinda hidden? It's crazy that there was so much smoke but I could not pinpoint an obvious source.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts