Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im getting the dreaded system charge fault...i replaced my battery, checked the grounds...and have come to believe it is my starter or alternator...the grounds on the starter and block look uncorroded, i even checked my pcm to make sure it was connected securely

Here are my symptoms...Even with the brand new red top battery when i start the car the volts read 11.5 Before the replacement of the battery it would drain completely and make a weird buzzing noise from my fuse box near my pcm...now the new battery is in and still system charge fault and 11.5 volts....So my real question is how do you check the starter/starter wires with aftermarket headers?... could this be the alternator?...do i have to take my passenger side headers off?... if so thats gonna be a huge pita...

Yeah i really dont know where to start on electrical issues. I took it out for a test drive and here is what happened...Started the car with new red top voltage read 11.5 as soon as i pulled out of the drive with car under minimal load it triggered the system charge fault..i.i took it around the block a few times the battery gradually drained to 10.8...i then mashed the gas for a quick pull and the voltage remained constant then fluctuated between 11.2 and 10.8, i pulled into my driveway turned the car off went inside had a Guinness came back outside checked the voltage on the DIC and it was 11.5 wtf is going on...if anyone could help me please i might go insane

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i took the ground off that alternator, and disconnected its plug...got in the car and turned the car to the on position and started the car to get a voltage reading it was reading the same voltage as when i had the alternator plug connected and the ground connected...so is it definately my alternator???

·
Registered
13 Posts
It sounds like you have no field excitation at the alternator. Could be a bad connection or it could be an open rotor. With out field you are running on battery only. If you have a voltmeter, do a battery voltage check at the battery connections with the key OFF. With a fully charged battery you should see 12.6-12.8 VDC. Start the car, do the same check and you should see 14.2- 14.4 VDC. If NOT --- get the alternator checked !

·
Registered
185 Posts
Electrical is the worst....alternator test or check out the PCM at a dealer....

Steve

·
Registered
237 Posts
not on a Vette, but I had similar situation recently and after both battery abd alternator checked out good, it turned out to be a bad connection within the ground battery cable. Replaced with a new cable and clamp and everything is singing along nicely now.

Just throwing this in the pot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts