Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Top secrets.
Something I read on Rick Daniels' website:

"Here are two things that the C6 will not have for an engine: One with displacement on demand, and one with two cams in the block. Rumors about these two features have been plastered along side every C6 story we’ve read, but they are simply not true. But truth can be stranger than fiction as you will soon read. The base engine, dubbed LS2, will be based off the current LS6. It will retain its 400+hp status and OHV layout. Expect improved fuel economy, and performance (mostly due to the reduced weight). The strange part comes strait out of aviation history books. The high performance version of the C6 (possibly still named Z06) will be powered by a new generation of cam-less engine. That’s right, electronically actuated valves. Not only will this give the HP version of the C6 infinite valve timing, but close-to, if not north-of 500hp. Cam-less engines have been used for years in circular piston aircraft engines where placement of a cam is impossible. Since publication-we’ve gotten wind that this cam-less engine may not be available at the start of production-despite the fact that Dave Hill has promised all 3 versions at the start. Snake tamer is one word we look forward to using with the C6. This little bit of engine information has already gotten close to 14 people fired from GM, and is one of the C6’s most closely guarded secrets."

Very Interesting

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Hi FatherLarry! Good to see you back. I'm going to push this to our C6 section, so the lurkers over there can take a look at this.

Good to hear from you! I was at your site the other day, but I forgot my password and had it e-mailed to me ... then the day got hectic.

Talk to you soon!

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
sounds interesting.....hopefully it works out...and we'll have something that has 450-475 hp :) or more :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I hope this is true. What a radical jump for GM but long over due.

I would assume a bunch of RPM's would be available/required as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This would make the Honda's Vtec timing look like a joke if it were true!
I'm surprised they got the solenoids quick and strong enough. I thought it would come out on little 4 bangers first because of this.
I sure hope they pull it off! :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
FatherLarry said:
Top secrets.
Something I read on Rick Daniels' website:

" The high performance version of the C6 (possibly still named Z06) will be powered by a new generation of cam-less engine. That’s right, electronically actuated valves. ... This little bit of engine information has already gotten close to 14 people fired from GM, and is one of the C6’s most closely guarded secrets."

Very Interesting
BMW Williams F1 engines have used compressed air to open the valves under control of the ECM for at least two years now and the 2002 engine could rev to 20,000rpm (leading to some truly spectacular engine disintegrations).

I'm not sure from the context whether the source of that information means that opening and closing will be electronically actuated via a mechanical system (e.g. compressed air ala BMW) or whether he means the actual opening (and closing? Are they using valve springs?) will be done via a solenoid or electric motor.

In any event, the likelihood of such a system appearing in an engine designed for realtively large scale production is small. Consider that the Corvette powertrain team has (with the exception of the limited production LT5) clung tenaciously to pushrod technology over these many years. And with good reason. The 350 cubic inch engine produces gobs of torque and since horsepower is a function of torque you can make lots of horsepower without resorting to higher rpms.

horsepower = torque*rpm/5252

As you can see from the equation, you can make horspower by having a lot of torque or making a lot of rpms. Making more rpms makes sense only in small displacement engines (which have inherently less ability to produce torque) since more rpms means more revolutions per mile, which means faster wear, which means more warranty repairs, which means less revenue.

Increasing the maximum rpm does allow for a higher top speed but the Z06 will do 172mph in its current configuration, according to published sources, so how much would one gain?. Where can you use that? More grunt coming off a corner is preferable.

As far as this being one of the "...most closely guarded secrets." I would think that if "... close to 14 people..."[sic] were fired for blabbing about it this it wasn't very closely guarded, and it's certainly no longer a secret. In fact I'm surprised that one of the gang of (close to) 14 hasn't contacted the National Enquirer (er, sorry, I meant Car & Driver Magazine, I get them confused) to leak even more secret stuff into Csaba Csere's column.

Besides, where is the cachet in having electro-pneumatic operated valves? There is certainly no point in advertising it as "cam-less", since one could infer that you were getting less for more money (consider that "transistorized ignition" sounds better than "point-less ignition" which is what it actually is).

I hope they put money into an electro-hydraulically actuated clutch mated to a computer-controlled 6-speed manual transmission (with paddles behind the steering wheel) that doesn't have CAGS.

A HUD for the passenger would be nice too so my wife doesn't have to lean over to look at my speedometer to see how indiscreet I'm being (it's damned distracting when you're doing some serious speeding). You know, I may just get an anonymous hotmail account and send that one to Car & Driver. I bet they publish it. Or maybe the C6 team is using alien technology from Area 51. I know they'd publish that.

Ray

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
;)

Nice post, Ray.

People are very happy with the LS1/LS6. So, I think the next-gen C6 motor will be off that platform. It certainly brings down hard and soft costs by avoiding designing an entirely new engine.

I shrug off most of the C6 news, and most of the C6 renderings by car magazines. Most of the "C6 reports" we hear are good guesses at what we are likely to see, but not indicative of what we will see.

In fact, this is the most magnificent information-blackout of new model details that I ever recall.
:(

·
Registered
285 Posts
It certainly would seem that GM is still committed to OHV engines. The LS1/LS6, the 3.8 V6.

With the introduction of the 2002 LS6, GM engineers acknowledged that the low hanging fruite, the easy HP "finds" were used to boost the 02 LS6. That statement alone left the door open for speculation. Rumors that I have also heard were a camless motor, a conversion of the LS1 to OHC configuration, a larger LS1 and posssibly the use of a S/C.

For years, GM has been fairly predictable. With Bob Lutz in the house, I think anything is possible and the predictability is gone for now. What I do beleive is that an Naturally Aspirated engine will be in the C6. Beyond that, I am clueless.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Since I have had a C6 on order for some time, I hope for a 383 cid ("LS2"?) or something near for the coupe, as it appears that year-one (beginningn spring 2004) will feature the Coupe only (as C5 launch with the '97). Looks like the Z06 (if so designated) won't appear for a while, but will likely be a barn-burner!

I like the idea of exposed HID xenon headlights, and an interior likened to the mid-year (the two dash 'humps'), better seating, and some new colors, yes, emulating those from the past...i.e. marina blue, sunfire yellow etc from '67 Sting Ray).

Keep waving.......

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
welcome aboard duntov.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Early last year a co-worker told me about his neighbor who was an electrical engineer for GM. In his driveway was a C6 that had the electrically operated valves, sorry no other details.

·
Registered
662 Posts
bluestripe67 said:
Early last year a co-worker told me about his neighbor who was an electrical engineer for GM. In his driveway was a C6 that had the electrically operated valves, sorry no other details.
My brother-in-law's second cousin works with a guy whose step-son knows a guy whose neighbor's ex-husband works for Chevrolet and he has a C6 in his driveway that is a mid-engined 3.0 liter V-10 with pneumatically actuated valves. Of course, since this guy lives in the D.C. area, it's a little hard to buy that he commutes to Detroit to work on the new design, whether he drives the C6 to work or not.:rolleyes:

Ray

·
Registered
285 Posts
RT66Z06 said:
My brother-in-law's second cousin works with a guy whose step-son knows a guy whose neighbor's ex-husband works for Chevrolet and he has a C6 in his driveway that is a mid-engined 3.0 liter V-10 with pneumatically actuated valves. Of course, since this guy lives in the D.C. area, it's a little hard to buy that he commutes to Detroit to work on the new design, whether he drives the C6 to work or not.:rolleyes:

Ray
Ray:

But can you trust him??:huh: :huh:

·
Registered
13 Posts
RTZ06
If my memory serves me well, GM had and may still have a large Corporate office in the DC area. I remember seeing the building in the Gaithersburg area, but has since moved. This my lend creedence to these cars in the DC area. :buhbye:

·
Registered
16 Posts
RT66Z06 said:

Ray
So what was the mileage like??

·
Registered
662 Posts
GS487 said:
So what was the mileage like??
Depends. Are you asking about the 7-speed manual or the Continuously Variable Transmission model? The convertible or the Crossover Sport/Ute version with seating for 6 (the Z06-XL)?

The truth is out there. ;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
bluestripe67 said:
RTZ06
If my memory serves me well, GM had and may still have a large Corporate office in the DC area. I remember seeing the building in the Gaithersburg area, but has since moved. This my lend creedence to these cars in the DC area. :buhbye:
See what I mean? GM can move entire buildings without anyone noticing! Okay, you noticed, but even you aren't sure that it actually moved. This may be telecast on Dateline NBC, titled "The Gaithersburg Experiment". The documentary will feature music from Creedence Clearwater Revival to lend, well, credence to the report.:D

Ray

·
Registered
662 Posts
bluestripe67 said:
OK guys, your havin' fun with this, my supervisor has no reason to BS me on this. I'm only tellin' 'ya what he reported. :)
Call this guy's bluff! Loan him your digital camera and tell him to come back with spy photos (minimum 2048x1024 resolution, TIFF format, watch the color balance and contrast) of this C6.;)

Remember what Silvio told Paulie Walnuts:"You're only as good as your last envelope".

Have you ever gone up to Cecil County Raceway? Is it still there? I mispent a good portion of my youth there. I think I have a photo of me with a big trophy and a SE grin sitting on the hood of my Barracuda taken at Cecil County Raceway.

Ray

1 - 20 of 22 Posts