Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my way back from Drag racing overtaking a few cars and this Porsche vert is keeping pace with me. I think it was one of those Boxster things! They all look the same in the mirror! I'm doing around 60mph and then the road clears ahead of me and I see the Porsche go for the overtake he puts the blinker on, so I nail the throttle and take the Vette to about a ton and leave him out there on the wrong side of the road overtaking fresh air!

He was so embarrassed he dropped back a 100 yards and never came near the Vette again!

Then today on my way to work Scoobiedo Impretsa Turbo WRX big wing and fart can exhaust overtakes the car behind me and roars up behind. So I get on and turn right at the roundabout and nail it! Even with TC on I'm wheel spinning as it's wet TC is on! the cars still going straight and the scoobbie's dropped by 4 cars.

So I take a left on to the duel carriageway and nail it up to about 90mph and drop the Scoobie's back about 8 cars. The Scoobie's got 4 wheel drive and it wet and I dropped him easy! These boy racers in there Jap imports! They don't see many C5's in the UK! and they think they can mess with the big boys!

Two good kills for the Vette!

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
Love the red nice race Congratulations on win:thumbsup:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love the red nice race Congratulations on win:thumbsup:
Thanks! :thumbsup:

I like his car and it goes down well at the drag meets cause it not only looks nice he runs 13's too! We always race each other, trouble is the loser gets some stick when the beers come out later! :laughing:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well done. And you ran through the roundabout, laying on the torque and keeping track of your prey, on a factory LHD C5? Impressive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks my prey was lagging behind not being able to keep up!

Took a better scalp today a BMW Z4 M I will start a new thread for it though!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Thanks my prey was lagging behind not being able to keep up!

Took a better scalp today a BMW Z4 M I will start a new thread for it though!
Jolly Good ole' chap. You'll need to spark it up a bit, but taking an M5 on the M5 would be a hell of a hoot.:partyon: Mad props from the colonies.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jolly Good ole' chap. You'll need to spark it up a bit, but taking an M5 on the M5 would be a hell of a hoot.:partyon: Mad props from the colonies.

Hi I not sure how much power the older M5 has and they are fairly rare here, but I kow the lastest one has 500hp so I would needed a C6 ZO6 to compete with one so although I was able to hang with a BMW Z4 M I think that was about my stock Vette's limit!

I saw a TV test of the Z4 M on top gear where the send the cars round a test track with a racing driver at the wheel and keep a record of what's the fastest. I was shocked that the Z4 M posted a slightly better time at the track than the 400hp C6! So I did well to hang with that Z4 M on fairly straight roads!

Cheers Andy

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi I not sure how much power the older M5 has and they are fairly rare here, but I kow the lastest one has 500hp so I would needed a C6 ZO6 to compete with one so although I was able to hang with a BMW Z4 M I think that was about my stock Vette's limit!

I saw a TV test of the Z4 M on top gear where the send the cars round a test track with a racing driver at the wheel and keep a record of what's the fastest. I was shocked that the Z4 M posted a slightly better time at the track than the 400hp C6! So I did well to hang with that Z4 M on fairly straight roads!

Cheers Andy
TG is really more about entertainment than anything approaching a rational discussion of automotive technology, and on many occasions have said things so technically inaccurate . . . I don't know what to say. As for the Stig, he is for real. The fact the current Z4 M turns in a slightly better track time than the first year (I think non-Z51) C6 on a relatively short track doesn't surprise me at all. Remember, the C6 lost against an NSX at the drags in the same episode.:smack

M5s have had 500 peak HP since at least 2005. You only need a Maggie to give you the same peak HP and considerably fatter torque curve with less weight (i.e., blast away.) I have no idea what a Magnuson SC would cost to install in the U.K. (and I'm afraid to ask), but here in the States it'd be something on the order of $5k USD. Wouldn't be the first time some Brits teamed up with some Yanks to knock some Krauts around. :nuts:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes have to agree about TG, Clarkson is very anti American cars. Even so he ordered a Ford GT and has now sold it because of lots of problems. He also takes the mickey out of things with stripes! Then he paid $3,000 for the stripes on the Ford GT! He also seems very anti Corvette to me even with the impressive showing of the C6 and C6 ZO6 in the hands of the Stig!

I think he now has a Lambo, Richard Hammond is a American car fan and had a 68 Dodge Charger and I think he has one of the new Dodge Challengers on order.

The C5 and C6 Vettes offer outsatnding perfromance for there cost in relation to the high Dollar European cars they somtimes quite easily out perform.

As fo a Maggie SC what ever it costs in dollars it's more or less the same in pounds sterling so $5k would end up being £5K sterling ($9250!) even though £1 is worth $1.85! They add import duty Vat which adds 21% to the cost then there profit if you buy it here!

I afraid I have no funds for performance Mods to the Vette other than cosmetic parts and there is no expertease over here to even get stuff like HC work done or even PCM tuning! There are not enough LS1 engined cars here for anyone other than a Monaro racing team to even bother with tuning LS1s.

I wish it was like the USA and I could go somewhere to a town and pay to have HC work gears etc done as it doesn't take too much to get these LS1 engine cars in the 11 'sand 10 's at the strip.

Even the intial cost of buying a 97 Vette in the UK is horrendous compared to the USA. My 97 cost me the dollar equivilant of $28,000 in Jan 07 I could get one in the USA for $18,000!

So even though I am on the C5 Corvette Ladder I stretched myself to get it! So no funds are available for high Dollar mods. The Corvette has and will probably always be what is considered a richmans car in the UK! I use mine as a DD which is also rare here as most are weekend toys!

I think that rather than mod ny C5 maybe in 2 or 3 years I maybe be able to go to a C6 as they are coming down nicely in the used car market. Even though this Vette and my last car a 99 Z28 Camaro offer oustanding performance they are quite old cars now so I would like somthing newer.

One good thing here is American cars offer a good safequard in deprciation. If you can get an American car for the right money here you can look forward to seling it at a good price most of the time. For instance the 99 Z28 cost me $9,250 equivilant 2 years ago and that's what I got for it in the trade in for the Vette so it kinda pushed me forward to buying a C5.

The ownership thing here is great here as a lots of people stare at the Vette when they see it including 911 owners! Anyway Vette's rule :partyon:

Cheers Andy

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
. . .
The ownership thing here is great here as a lots of people stare at the Vette when they see it including 911 owners! Anyway Vette's rule :partyon:

Cheers Andy
Cool man! Sounds like you're taking the right approach to owning and enjoying. Here in the States, we sometimes miss this simple pleasure and go way off the deep end. But what the heck, that's fun too.

On the tuning issue, you can get LS1 Edit, EFI Live, etc. yourself and take it to a tuner. Since the Vette uses a MAF, any place that has a dyno and good air/fuel measuring equipment could tune. Vettes (especially older ones) are notorious for coming with a rich tune from the factory. They can pick up quite a bit of power (and mileage) by just being leaned out a bit. Also, I think the commonly available petrol in the UK is still higher octane than what the manufacturers have to make cars in the States for (because of crappy California gas.) (NOTE: The European rating system for octane is different than the US. I think Euro 98 is about 93 in the U.S.) So you can also up the timing.

There's gotta be some hotrodders in the UK who work on old Gen I SBCs, and as far as HC packages go, there wouldn't really be any difference in installing them.

Anyway, your idea of waiting and upgrading is probably smarter, but the next time I'm heading to the isles I could smuggle a cam ;) I'd love to see what Homeland Security would think of that.:rolling:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts