Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished redoing the front suspension on my 85. I cut off and made up new shock towers, installed coilovers, poly bushings, new rack, ball joints and tie rod ends. Now I am moving to the back and have a question. I plan on replacing the outer tie rod ends but how likely is it that the end link assembly needs replaced. How do I determine if it needs replaced?

·
Registered
292 Posts
On my '88 the end link there is just a simple metal bracket. It would last forever unless it was damaged some way by debris. The bushings were real bad there on mine though, the worst on the car. They are also a bit of a PITA to install so I replaced mine with heim links from Guldstrand so I don't have to replace them again. They do make a little noise though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, I was actually thinking about using heims. I am assuming you used the factory tie rod ends at the knuckles.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Are you talking about the toe link on the diff? The piece that's like I tie rod that keeps the rear tires facing straight forward? If so, I bought a VBP rear link setup, and I must say it is of the highest quality I've seen, four heim joints, HUGE rods and a really beefy bracket. I heavily reccommend it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts