Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I posted a question a while back about smelling like gas/exhaust after driving my car. Based on previous owner having the car, and I have no history, I at least know from looking at the numbers that this is a 350 which seems to have been freshened up. Headers are not factory and are rusty. Heavy exhaust smell with the hood up and my head down close to the headers so this will be another project. Anyway the reason I mentioned all of this is because my alternator is on the passenger side and my compressor is on the driver's side, and part of the bracket that the supports this compressor is mounted with one of the header bolts. The bolt goes through the bracket, through the header, and then the head. :WTF I am not sure if this is a bubba job or if this is how some 350's are done in other cars, but I don't think I like it nor do I like the fact of the a/c hose coming across the back of my motor, across the valve cover, and to the compressor. Since I will have to address the exhaust leak I was going to rectify this situation since stuff has to come off anyway. Any Ideas on how I should reverse things and where to get brackets from would be greatly appreciated. This previous owner is haunting me bigtime:laughing: Sorry about the long post. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Can you post a pic of it as it is now?

Definitely not stock but the bracket is a common used item when headers are installed. In fact more headers kits come with a bracket just like that.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Even in a stock configuration, (compressor on the pass. side, alternator on drivers side), the A/C & smog pump bracketry uses a stud that runs through the exhaust manifold, into the head. At least on a 78 L-82.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh :surprised I had no idea that was how it is done. Thanks fellas. DB I am seriously gonna sit down and learn how to post these pics. I have been taking pictures with a digital camera so I can start posting up pics to contribute more around here. Thanks again. Another thing that was bothering me is that the alternator is on the same side with the fuel line coming up. I didn't know if that poses some kind of extra fire hazard. If not then my nitpickyness will only be to get that a/c hose from running across the engine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
H Any Ideas on how I should reverse things and where to get brackets from would be greatly appreciated. This previous owner is haunting me bigtime:laughing: Sorry about the long post. Thanks again
Get yourself an Assy Instruction Manual for your year ('77), it will show how original P/Ns and how it was put together.

Search sites like CorvetteCentral.com for stock A/C and Alternator bracketry, (you might have to find additonal spacers to use OEM brackets with headers, not sure, I'm still running stock exhaust manifolds).

Check out custom pulley system vendors like March Serpentine Systems, (Jegs, Summit. etc) for mounting systems for A/C & Alternators, they have alot of systems for mounting in different locations, lower right, upper right, center, upper left, etc.

I would definetely want to get things back close to original locations so that you don't have hoses "crossing over the back of the engine & over valve covers".....sounds kinda like Bubba had a hand in this unfortunate "reversal of fortune" so to speak, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts