Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asking around and have gotten alot of different opinions on the best way to clean my engine. In the old days when cars had less electronics, I would plastic wrap the electronic parts and steam clean the engine... but with my 1998 C5 coupe, I am not so sure. What do you all think?:huh:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
vasalazar said:
I have been asking around and have gotten alot of different opinions on the best way to clean my engine. In the old days when cars had less electronics, I would plastic wrap the electronic parts and steam clean the engine... but with my 1998 C5 coupe, I am not so sure. What do you all think?:huh:
Hello,

Even if your engine was 100% waterproof, I still wouldn't hit it with even a garden hose. My issues are all the little vacuum hoses, snap connectors and whatnot. Water of any force could cause you a headache by moving or seperating something that shouldn't be moved or seperated. Certainly hi-pressure is utterly out of the question.

That said, I find the best way to clean an engine is to do ROUTINE cleaning of the engine so that it never really gets that bad in the first place.

Giving your engine 15 minutes of love each time you wash your car will keep it looking like new forever.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
i use simple green and a hose on super light mist.then i use zaino on the plastic,and zaino on the painted stuff you see.if you use a hose,cover the alternator well,and try not to shot water under the intake manifold.the knock sensors are under there,and water will puddle around them,and eventually ruin them.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ive used the powerwash on all my cars but put the setting to final rinse which is a very fine mist. I also keep the car running as well and stay away from the electrical boxes and have never had a problem in the 5 or so years that I have been doing this. Everyone wonders how I keep it so clean, and I tell them I do it by hand with a towel and windex :laughing: They give me a look like im nuts then...:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use an engine cleaning attachment and my compressor. I run 50% simple green through it with a very low pressure setting (35 psi). The tool has about a 12" entension and a 90 degree nozzle so it makes it easy to get into the tight spots. I take all the usual precautions with alternator and electrical junctions.
Wet it down with the simple green and then go in by hand with a small brush for the stuborn spots.
Go for clear water for the rinse and then dry as much by hand as possible.

Haven't tried the underside yet but will probubly tackle it in the same manner with a higher pressure spray.
Rob

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
aloha BST R8S,
my buddy's and i used to take mushrooms and go trip out in 'Spawn Ranch.'(can't remember if thats the right name)we used to find weird little Charles Manson stuff.is that place still around?
i use the simple green under the car too.i have red sway-bars and semi-polished rear suspension(takes a while),and brake calipers too.that stuff is great.
:stick: no opti-spark :stick: :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts