Certified RR 7705 3110 0002 8488 1181

RE: Case no. 39931
Oil line related engine fire
2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
VIN no. 1G1YY25E365129446
Vehicle Production date May 18, 2006
Engine 10ZKD 32 129 16 15; Production date May 9, 2006

Dear Ms. DeMeter:

I am reporting a serious safety infraction which jeopardized the safety of myself and surrounding vehicles due an engine oil line defect causing a large fire. I sustained $1,800 damage repaired by two shops.

On June 8, 2006 my new car sustained a three-point engine fire related to an external engine oil line defect. Fortunately, I was accompanied by an experienced GM-Certified mechanic during the event for unrelated repairs and warranty work.

Analysis revealed a defective oil line at the crimped-on rubber hose-to-metal interface which conducts oil to an external cooler. Just before this, the car had been running in the shop for 30 minutes without incident. Videos were taken of the car running in the shop. After 10 minutes of road testing, this component suddenly failed, eight quarts of engine oil was completely lost in 30 seconds, without warning.

The rapid loss of eight quart oil spillage created a serious safety condition on Interstate I-81. This affected other automobiles, tractor-trailers and motorcycles traveling at interstate speed, during the rush hour, at dusk, and on a Friday evening. Additionally, it was raining. Multiple locations of the engine fire created the life-threatening situation to myself and my passenger. Because of the complete loss of engine oil, it remains to be seen if this incident will affect the longevity of oil-lubricated and oil-cooled drivetrain components.

This appears to be a known problem. This model has been previously recalled following engine fires involving the rubber-to-metal crimped-on interface lines of the power steering line. Also the dealership relates frequent failure of the same oil circuit components in GM SUV vehicles, to the extent they must keep this part in stock. I appreciate GM's attention regarding recall for the power steering line.

In summary, this is a fatigue-related production defect, which has a history of creating engine fires in GM vehicles and is subject to catastrophic failure without notice. A road injury or fatality would have exposed me to significant liability. Please feel free to contact me regarding this life-threatening safety issue.

Sincerely,

Peter F. Kelly, DPM, FACFAS

edit: Correction: 2007

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I saw this happen to a brand new Z06 at the track. It was Sunday and the dealer was closed. He had to flatbed home. No fire jus oil leaks and black flags.

:cheers:

·
Registered
237 Posts
This model has been previously recalled following engine fires involving the rubber-to-metal crimped-on interface lines of the power steering line...
I am not aware of such recall. Do you have any reference to that?
Edit: a 2006 C6 Z06 recall, not a 2005 C6 (base).

Good luck with your repairs. If engine was stopped immediately then probably there is no internal damage.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I would be interested in more info on this recall if any one has it...?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No photos. It was too terrible. Here is the recall info on the PS lines. They had fatigue failures similar to mine.

RECALL: 2005 - 2006 Chevrolet Corvette
NHTSA Campaign Number: 05V455000
www.nhtsa.dot.gov
Manufacturer GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Recall Date: OCT 04, 2005
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 123592
Description STEERING: HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:HOSE, PIPING, AND CONNECTIONS
Summary
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT WITH A POWER STEERING HOSE THAT IS NOT TO SPECIFICATION. UNDER EXTREME STEERING MANEUVERS, SUCH AS TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL FULLY TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT WHILE BRAKING, THE HOSE MAY FRACTURE AND LEAK FLUID.
Consequence
IF THIS WERE TO OCCUR, POWER STEERING ASSIST WOULD BE LOST AND INCREASED STEERING EFFORT WOULD BE REQUIRED. ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HYDRO-BOOST POWER BRAKES, IT COULD ALSO RESULT IN LOSS OF POWER BRAKE ASSIST AND INCREASED BRAKING EFFORT WOULD BE REQUIRED. IF THE POWER STEERING FLUID SPRAY WERE TO SPRAY ONTO HOT ENGINE PARTS, AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE COULD OCCUR.
Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE POWER STEERING HOSE(S) FOR TWO SUSPECT DATE CODES AND REPLACE THEM IF REQUIRED. THE RECALL WILL BEGIN ON OCTOBER 14, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, GMC AT 1-866-996-9463, BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080, CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339, ISUZU AT 1-800-255-6727, OR HUMMER AT 1-800-732-5493.

·
Registered
901 Posts
If the government begins an investigation, they will end it when they find out the car was modified for higher performance.

·
Registered
237 Posts
No photos. It was too terrible. Here is the recall info on the PS lines. They had fatigue failures similar to mine.

RECALL: 2005 - 2006 Chevrolet Corvette
NHTSA Campaign Number: 05V455000
www.nhtsa.dot.gov
Manufacturer GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Recall Date: OCT 04, 2005
Potential Number Of Units Affected: 123592
Description STEERING: HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:HOSE, PIPING, AND CONNECTIONS
Summary
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT WITH A POWER STEERING HOSE THAT IS NOT TO SPECIFICATION. UNDER EXTREME STEERING MANEUVERS, SUCH AS TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL FULLY TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT WHILE BRAKING, THE HOSE MAY FRACTURE AND LEAK FLUID.
Consequence
IF THIS WERE TO OCCUR, POWER STEERING ASSIST WOULD BE LOST AND INCREASED STEERING EFFORT WOULD BE REQUIRED. ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HYDRO-BOOST POWER BRAKES, IT COULD ALSO RESULT IN LOSS OF POWER BRAKE ASSIST AND INCREASED BRAKING EFFORT WOULD BE REQUIRED. IF THE POWER STEERING FLUID SPRAY WERE TO SPRAY ONTO HOT ENGINE PARTS, AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE COULD OCCUR.
Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE POWER STEERING HOSE(S) FOR TWO SUSPECT DATE CODES AND REPLACE THEM IF REQUIRED. THE RECALL WILL BEGIN ON OCTOBER 14, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, GMC AT 1-866-996-9463, BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080, CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339, ISUZU AT 1-800-255-6727, OR HUMMER AT 1-800-732-5493.
That is for C6 (base). The C6 Z06 is not included in this recall.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, but speculating here is immaterial. Speculation is not proof, it has no evidence. For any case I have undertaken, I do not assume decision making on behalf of any agency, individual, or jury. This, as in any, investigation will be presented findings of fact via exhibits and witnesses, and will conclude with interpretation of law. Abiding by the conditions and precepts of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, the burden of proof is to demonstrate contributory negligence by the consumer. Because the work was performed by GM certified mechanics, hence my witness, it is doubtful I could lose based on fact....and I would not take on a case I can lose. However I do not assume to win or lose, only present the facts which were noncontributory to this incident.

The purpose of the parallel of the recall is to illustrate that there is fatigue failure of hoses in widespread production.

The purpose of this publicity is a wake up call. Don't ever say this can't happen to you. Now, this thread is not to help me. It is to advise anybody suffeciently wise to go out and check their cars before a fatigued part transforms into a personal liability or fatality. Remember, if my car burned to the ground, there would be no evidence of the failed part. If I had died, I could not file a complaint. Check your car first. Bottom line = act safely. That is your responsibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GM Recall 05086

That is for C6 (base). The C6 Z06 is not included in this recall.
My 2006 Z06 was included in the recall.

See,
"http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm?SearchType=QuickSearch&rcl_ID=05V455000&summary=true"
Note they do not list specific models, you wont see for example 2wd Tahoe LT or SLT etc...

The Z06 IS included on the GM recall 05086.

As is the ISUZU / ASCENDER. So now I have to wonder, will anybody be able to catch the Isuzu guys and let them know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts