1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have slowly been disassembling my '81 and trying to document everything
even though I tend to do a Resto-Mod. I was standing in front of the car
after removing the hood and noticed something interesting. The engine looks
to be offset toward the passenger side of the car. The spacing in the fan shroud
only looks to be 1/2 inch difference from side to side which is typically normal.

I know the '63 Grand Sport was purposely built this way but were C3s like this as well?
Is this normal or do I need to start looking for problems.

I do know the car had been damaged on the left front corner in the past.
At this point everything appears to be OK.
Though I have not made any attempts to spec the frame out, Yet.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
yes, the engine is approx. 1" offset. If you measure both motor mounts to the outside of the frame the difference will be 2" L & R

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TT

Did not know that about the C3s :thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
yes, the engine is approx. 1" offset. If you measure both motor mounts to the outside of the frame the difference will be 2" L & R
FWIW, I had a friend cut/weld up the pipe between my side dump headers and my sidepipes. He got the left side done and made a bookend copy for the other side... and then muttered a lot of words like :WTF until I came back an hour later and explained why.

Another buddy was all set to cut the hole in his hood for the super-charger... had it all laid out and centered... and discovered (just before he cut) that something was amiss.

I know I read somewhere why this (off-centered) was done and I think I remember that it had something to do with the rear end... or maybe the independant rear suspension/half shaft geometry.

Someone out there will remember...

kdlp

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I read somewhere why this (off-centered) was done and I think I remember that it had something to do with the rear end... or maybe the independant rear suspension/half shaft geometry. kdlp

From my understanding.........which ain't much...........
On the '63 Grand Sports it was done to off set the drivers weight
and make the car more balanced from side to side.
If I remember right the GS had a 2 inch off set to the right and also
set 2 inches further back than the production car.

I'm sure the same reasoning would apply to the C3.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Most cars have a slight offset to the passenger side as much for mechanical room in front of the driver as wieght distribution, GM typically offsets 1 to 2 inches. Racers usually increase the offset, mine is offset 4.5 inches for the same reasons. As the engine is also moved back 12 inches, there is little room for legs let alone mechanicals. If I had a passenger seat...it would not be comfortable.

Come see us this weekend at MidOhio Vintage Gran Prix and Enduro, we are classed with Lolas, McClarens, MK's etc. We will try to uphold Corvette honor:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
If I could get to Mid Ohio I'd volunteer for something. (I can chase beer with the best). But I'm stuck where I am so I'll just have to cheer you on.

Whup 'Em Good:whip:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts