Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the heads and intake off. Is it OK to put bolts in the block, attach the chain with washers and pull that way. I mean, the threads will hold - right? Or is that not an OK way to do it. I'm pulling out the TH400 also. Thanks

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
No problem- those 7/16 bolts will hold with no worries. I'd use the short head bolts with flat washers and drive on. Or some good (Grade 5) hardware store bolts. Get all the thread engagement you can, ie., don't expect 1 or 2 threads to hold much. Just like any bolt..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4 thanks:thumbsup:. Just wanted to verify. I'll screw them all the way down:cheers:, Fred

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotterout yesterday with the help of my cousin who guided the tailend of the trannie :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Wow that engine is not very dirty or grimy.

Why'd you pull it?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow that engine is not very dirty or grimy.

Why'd you pull it?
:crazy: :laughing:.

Well, I started out in the begining of this year with the thought to just do a timing chain/gear replacement. That progressed to maybe either a rebuild of the OEM motor or heavens forbid, a "crate" replacement. When I checked the lifters, 3 were very bad -scored on the bottom. Others were getting concave and I thought it stupid to button it up without doing the bottom end. Instead of a rebuild, I now want the (base) ZZ4 with the (supposed) 405 lbs torque at 3600 rpm or so. I'll keep the OEM "Matching #'s" :thumbsup: engine on a stand - maybe make a coffee table out ot it:D

·
Registered
697 Posts
:crazy: :laughing:.

Well, I started out in the begining of this year with the thought to just do a timing chain/gear replacement. That progressed to maybe either a rebuild of the OEM motor or heavens forbid, a "crate" replacement. When I checked the lifters, 3 were very bad -scored on the bottom. Others were getting concave and I thought it stupid to button it up without doing the bottom end. Instead of a rebuild, I now want the (base) ZZ4 with the (supposed) 405 lbs torque at 3600 rpm or so. I'll keep the OEM "Matching #'s" :thumbsup: engine on a stand - maybe make a coffee table out ot it:D
Not looking to hi-jack your thread...

Normally I wouldn't recommend an out of state engine builder...but...I really-really-really like my Tri Star Performance 355 crate I installed last winter. 380 hp and 410 torque. If I'm not mistaken...that's pretty close to the ZZ4.

Check out the thread:

"New Motor Install...ton's 'O Photos!"

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe some progress can be made now that the winter is gone. Deciding what to do with the TH400 trans. now that I painted the ZZ4 block. Tending to probably go with either a Hughes or TCI replacement plus (of course) a new torque converter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cleaned the firewall up a bit. The whole front is getting new PM glass including inner fenders.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Press Molded parts - individual pieces - top surround and fenders - instead of a one piece unit. Thats how they were originally assembled

1 - 14 of 14 Posts