Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Engine pull question?

1K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  TWINRAY 
#1 ·
I have the heads and intake off. Is it OK to put bolts in the block, attach the chain with washers and pull that way. I mean, the threads will hold - right? Or is that not an OK way to do it. I'm pulling out the TH400 also. Thanks

#2 ·
No problem- those 7/16 bolts will hold with no worries. I'd use the short head bolts with flat washers and drive on. Or some good (Grade 5) hardware store bolts. Get all the thread engagement you can, ie., don't expect 1 or 2 threads to hold much. Just like any bolt..

#8 ·
:crazy: :laughing:.

Well, I started out in the begining of this year with the thought to just do a timing chain/gear replacement. That progressed to maybe either a rebuild of the OEM motor or heavens forbid, a "crate" replacement. When I checked the lifters, 3 were very bad -scored on the bottom. Others were getting concave and I thought it stupid to button it up without doing the bottom end. Instead of a rebuild, I now want the (base) ZZ4 with the (supposed) 405 lbs torque at 3600 rpm or so. I'll keep the OEM "Matching #'s" :thumbsup: engine on a stand - maybe make a coffee table out ot it:D

#10 ·
Maybe some progress can be made now that the winter is gone. Deciding what to do with the TH400 trans. now that I painted the ZZ4 block. Tending to probably go with either a Hughes or TCI replacement plus (of course) a new torque converter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.